1 of 2

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat: A wonderful Masterpiece, great work as usual Mr. Lovenberg! :clapping::clapping:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Muslim art forbids the representation of man or beast I think. It is quit interesting to note that the Arabic influences and Celtic Influences are quite similar in concept. Of course the Celtic art often has both abstract human and animal features as well as the gods. Middle eastern art is quit rigid in the line. Using straight and rigid angular components while the Celts use curve and rounded components.

Alain, This is just incredible work. new and fresh to modern engravings. You deserve all the praise that has been offered. There are no more words for me to offer except to thank you for sharing this with me/us. it is remarkable work. Fred

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for your kind comments!

Fred,
both judaism and islam forbid human and animal representation for religious reasons (possible idolatry). I believe that it is still forbidden now in Arabia but it is not so strict in the other muslim countries.
It is for that reason, indeed, that the art of ornamentation in the islamic world is based on geometrical patterns, sometimes very intricate.
The late "Celtic style " ornaments (mainly Scottish and Irish) have been influenced by the Byzantine and the Scandinavian ornamentations, there was no religious interdicts.This is a very interesting decorative style, I have engraved some guns and also jewelry in that style! ( see photo).
It is the first time that I engrave a gun in the Arabic style.

Jim,
you are right , I am lucky to have good customers. To allow me to do this type of work, they have to be wealthy, patient, and open minded!

Dave,
to remove the backgrounds on these rifles I have used a small CNC engraving machine on the parts easy to access (the flat parts or slightly curved ). For all the remaining parts I have used the onglettes and the flat gravers ( hand pushed and air powered) and sometimes a rotary bur in the difficult angles

Attachments

• celtic HW.jpg
    celtic HW.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 328

Montejano

Elite Cafe Member
An exceptional work, available to very few professionals.:clapping::clapping::clapping:
* I am a great admirer of your work

Montejano

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
New photos

I have found these new photos of the "Alhambra" rifles which were engraved some years ago, in 2012 and 2013 for a Sheik of Qatar. These photos were on the website "Explora" of Westley Richards, I suppose that they were taken by the late Simon Clode. These rifles were built by the wonderful gunmakers Hartmann and Weiss.

Attachments

• Hartmann-Weiss-Take-Downs-K9838-9-8153-Edit.jpg
    Hartmann-Weiss-Take-Downs-K9838-9-8153-Edit.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 155
  • Hartma-nn-Weiss-K9838-9-1-of-7.jpg
    Hartma-nn-Weiss-K9838-9-1-of-7.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 153
  • Hartmann-Weiss-K9838-9-2-of-7.jpg
    Hartmann-Weiss-K9838-9-2-of-7.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Hartmann-Weiss-K9838-9-3-of-7.jpg
    Hartmann-Weiss-K9838-9-3-of-7.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 153
  • Hartmann-Weiss-K9838-9-4-of-7.jpg
    Hartmann-Weiss-K9838-9-4-of-7.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 154
  • Hartmann-Weiss-K9838-9-5-of-7.jpg
    Hartmann-Weiss-K9838-9-5-of-7.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 154
  • Hartmann-Weiss-K9838-9-6-of-7.jpg
    Hartmann-Weiss-K9838-9-6-of-7.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 153
  • Hartmann-Weiss-K9838-9-7-of-7.jpg
    Hartmann-Weiss-K9838-9-7-of-7.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 155

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with Sam, this is something that represents a departure from known standards; the leading edge of something very new and exciting in the world of engraving. Thanks Alain, for providing this kind of inspiration for those of us who appreciate your vision.

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Sam!
It was a special work, I remember that the gunmaker was surprised and not very fond of that style of engraving.
Well, I think that it is a matter of taste, good for Arabic people but not for the German!
The engravings that I made for him after that were more traditional!
The gunmakers are generally very conservative.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Alain, thank you for taking your precious time to respond to my observations. You honor me to use your time to respond to observations. Fred