1899 Savage

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
This Savage 99 had been engraved before with a round chisel and a big hammer some of the progression marks were an 1/8in long. Draw filed off what I could and designed this to cover the rest.
Leland

Attachments

• SAVAGE BEFORE (2).jpeg
    SAVAGE BEFORE (2).jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 1899 SAVAGE LEFT.jpeg
    1899 SAVAGE LEFT.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 134

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
how much metal do you think you removed to achieve what you show there?

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks all for the comments. Monk, I measured before starting removed about 17 thousands. The prior work is not completely gone but enough to not be too noticeable. The 1899 has a lot of heft in the frame to work with. A good sharp file and 20 minutes and no more deer.
Leland

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Didn't the owner look at any of the previous guy's work before turning his gun over to him; or, was it one of those I'll do it cheap for a friend deals.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
[QUOTE="flintdoubles, post: 231320, member: 9726" A good sharp file and 20 minutes and no more deer.
Leland[/QUOTE]

Hi Leland, you did a couple of good jobs on that Model 99, both the removal and the new engraving.
What type and style of file did you use to get rid if the deer so quickly, please ??

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
John B I buy a new Nicholson Handy File when I start a project. Nothing fancy and cheap about 10 bucks but will stay sharp long enough to finish a job. The handy file has a double cut on one side and a medium single cut on the other. The double cut removes stock fast then smooth with single cut. The deer was gone in 20 minutes but it was not ready to engrave. I have 2.5 hours polishing after the draw filing. 20 years restoring Winchester lever guns helps too.
DKanger, the owner inherited the gun his uncle did this to his own gun. He did the stock and done a very good job, then he picked up the hammer.
Thanks, Leland

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thanks for the info Leland. Thought it looked too good for just a 20 minute job ! :)
You did a great job on this nice old Winchester.
Good to see it get the care it deserves.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Didn't the owner look at any of the previous guy's work before turning his gun over to him; or, was it one of those I'll do it cheap for a friend deals.
My guess is that a previous owner butchered that gun himself. How often have we read on the engraving forums and FB groups some guy that writes that he bought a graver and wants to engrave his own guns without understanding what he is getting into.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Many guns have come in my shop that have gotten in the wrong hands and became badly restored buffed with dished out screw & pin holes sharp edges rounded I just purchased a Fox Sterlingworth I'll restore it back to it's original condition. J.J.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Roger, you are right this was perpetrated by the owner. JJ when I am trying to save a gun that was restored poorly and get frustrated sometimes I stop and think if people weren't doing stupid stuff I might have to get a real job.
Leland

Latest posts

Sponsors