Question: .44 Auto Mag

Marianne

I have checked the chart for engraving guns and I do not find this gun on it. My understanding is it is 17-4 and Carpenter 455 Stainless Steel. Has anyone engraved this gun and how was it?
Thank you
Marianne

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
never engraved one. they aint too cool for chasin empty beer cans. the one i had was a bit of a beast on recoil.

BCan

Hello Friend,

As I'm sure you are aware, there have been many incarnations of the Auto-Mag, with the earlier ones having some history of parts breakage, (due to high pressures). Not unlike most early stainless metallurgy used by gun makers, different alloy ‘recipes’ can sometimes be found in various parts of a stainless weapon. If memory serves, (and it doesn't always for an old guy like me), Ruger had a custom 465 alloy for some early cylinders, 410 for barrels, etc. Later on, Ruger formulated a Carpenter Project 7000 15Cr-5Ni formula which was easier to work than a previous version, (which in those earlier versions was all but impossible for them to machine).

I believe that even S&W had a few minor issues with their earliest stainless revolvers, however they were very good about warranty repairs on these. Although I never cut an Auto-Mag, the late Anthony Lageose of Kalispell, Montana engraved one, and I was there to see some of it. Lots and lots of graver sharpening.

As near as I can remember that particular Auto-Mag, a later version, had a hardness somewhere in the neighborhood of the Carpenter Custom 465 stainless recipe. Wikipedia does have a listing for the numerous incarnations of the Auto-Mag. Sorry, I'm prattling on here.

Here is a link to an article which I hope may help you on your quest. It is entitled; A Guide to Gun Metal.

https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/guide-to-gun-metal/83987

Good luck with your project.