Question: 901 air tac handpiece modification

mmcfarlin

I have a question for Sam A. I know your 901 is highly modified with shorter barrel and a relief cut for the air tac to run slightly smoother. Would you or anyone else mind sharing the things they have done to improve performance?
Thanks

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
I have been using my 901 as came from the GRS Shop in about 2002. DJ Glaser brought his 901 trial model to the FEGA Show at the Silver Legacy in Reno, NV to show us his new ideas about hand pieces - it was unlike anything we had seen before. I placed my order - and many others did as well - before it was actually produced in Emporia. I also have a Monarch and a Magnun if I need more or less power, and I have them all in both standard and Air Tack configurations.

Sam does wonderful work, but I wouldn't let him or anyone else change a thing on any of my handpieces...and even if I did, I could never match the beauty of the Alfano style of engraving art....I think it's much more than a specially tuned handpiece that allows him to do that.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thank you for your kind words, Mike :)

My handpiece was modded by DJ Glaser of Glendo several years ago. As you said, it's a shortened barrel with a slight graver cut near the hole in the knob that actuates the Airtact. GRS used to have the instructions on their site but they were lost during a major website upgrade.

The good news is that I don't believe this modification is necessary since there have been improvements to the handpiece and Airtact cap. Mike is obviously very happy with the performance of his, and I no longer think it's worth fooling with. So the bottom line is you're not missing anything by using a stock handpiece. I do recommend the Airtact handpiece cap if you don't have one. The idea was from DocMark and it performs perfectly.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
I too am beginning to understand the features of the airtact system and can not add anything that Mike and Sam A have said. "But" I find I need as much sensitivity as I can get. I blame old age and arthritis for needing the extra sensitivity. I use the most sensitive of the airtact caps (1-dot). I also find that the 2 screws that hold the cap in place to be a additional sensitivity control as to how tight or loose ones adjust these screws. One can tighten them making the cap more sensitive to palm pressure or loosen them until you have to squeeze them quite hard to get the airtact to work at all. Perhaps this has been explained before but I am just now realizing just how much this has helped me in the use of the airtacts.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I remember DJ showing us the little graver cut to improve performance. Never did it though and dont ask why Musta forgot to.
Anywhoooo.. I am set up a bit different and they said said I would loose performance by installing a 6 foot hose on my handpieces so I can use them on two different engraving stations. They seem to work just fine for me. I did try Doc's back pad and for some reason I could not get it to work better than the standard ones. Might be the way I hold my gravers Go figure

Latest posts

Sponsors