Question: 901 handpiece upgrades

Miketaylor

I believe my 901 came with the bigger spring. Is there an upgraded piston grs sells to get more power out of my 901? Links would be helpful

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I don't know of a heavier piston but the 901 normally comes with a light and heavy spring. The heavier one of course will provide more impact, and the lighter one works well for finer work.

Consider the Magnum if you really need a lot of power. I have one and it lives in the bottom drawer of my bench because my 901 does everything I need except deep western brightcutting, which isn't something I normally do.

The engraving, inlay, and sculpting on this rifle floor plate were all done with a 901.

Attachments

• sculpting.jpg
    sculpting.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 54
I don't know of a heavier piston but the 901 normally comes with a light and heavy spring. The heavier one of course will provide more impact, and the lighter one works well for finer work.

Consider the Magnum if you really need a lot of power. I have one and it lives in the bottom drawer of my bench because my 901 does everything I need except deep western brightcutting, which isn't something I normally do.

The engraving, inlay, and sculpting on this rifle floor plate were all done with a 901.
thank you, Sam, for posting this. just to make sure of this, the hammer work was also done with the 901 as well? that would be great news to hear that I don't have to get a magnum to do the hammer work for inlay lol. in my case copper inlay is what I am talking or mumbling about. thank you for the insight.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
I have a modified 901 that has a heavier piston in it that came out of a Maestro hand piece. It was given to me by DJ Glaser when I was a participant in one of the Grand Masters classes. It was also modified where the air bleed hole is in the end of the hand piece, over which the rubber flap on the cover that bolts onto the end of the hand piece. The instructions for this modification are probably in the archives on the GRS webb site. Call GRS and ask them about this modification.

Reactions: hsc

Winstonklein

Elite Cafe Member
If you have an older 901 handpiece, I assume you must get a V3 piston from GRS, it will give you some extra kick with either spring.

Latest posts

Sponsors