A Mammoth heading to Reno

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
This was my excitement for New Years eve, engraving. This is the knife Don Cowles sent me, it has a mammoth tooth handle so there is the explanation for the theme, I was going to put it off until after Reno, I have other things I really should be working on, but I was looking forward to the job, so why put it off. Anyway, lets here some critiques, there is one big flaw, the scroll on the mammoth side does'nt curl around quite right , I started with my nob to high, it looked fine on paper but not after it was cut. Thats what I see, maybe you all can see mistakes I have over looked, I am not thin skinned, so be honest. Thanks Brian

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,
Overall, the knife looks good but what I think could be improved a bit is on the mammoth side. As you look at it, the right side of the head could use something (such as a bit more gold inlay) to delineate the side of the head from the leaves inside the scroll. That being said, I would be quite happy to produce that quality of work.

Peter

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian it looks good.That's not an easy task. I remember J.C. on a thread talking about paper to metal can sometimes fool you. I don't think it's that the scroll is too big as much as the lack of the mammoth being visible behind it somewhat. Sometimes your better off leaving well enough alone unless you have the perfect fix that you can execute. The pictures are so closeup that looking at it with the naked eye may be perfect. Eric Gold has an engraving in I believe Tom Turpin's book with a Lion or Tiger I can't remember, but it's coming out through the filigree engraving, if you have the book you may want to give a look.
Mike

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors