A work in progress

ByrnBucks

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Confession, though I’v read here 100 times here I completely neglected practicing with a pencil, only focusing more so on taming the graver by duplicating several of Sam’s designs from his educational publications on practice plates. But If I could go back in time I would have put in some more scribbling time.

Anyways found a blank stainless steel knife and this is the first original design I‘v completed, didn’t bother worrying about asking you fine gentlemen to critique it in any way as it might have been a wash so I just went at it. There are a few spots I wish I would have stepped back and studied it as a whole but for a first swing I’m a bit pleased and will post when more progress has been made.

Thanks for looking and have a great Day. BB E4E7F465-8F52-4FF3-93F9-F061537E594A.jpeg 07F83E48-A0A8-4D8D-A2FB-1ADEB8DC74E0.jpeg 5708E5DC-4FC0-4119-A588-105A3D3B885D.jpeg 2E2F251C-A114-4204-BD39-6B6982CD55BA.jpeg

ByrnBucks

Yes sir, open to any feedback and thank you. Just didn’t click critique as for a first stab at original design I should have put more hours of practice drawing in before asking for help.
Working on stippling the background before tackling the shading, been rewatching Sam‘s advance shading DVD a few more times and trying to not rush to finish. Thanks for looking. BB

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thank you For opening it up Byrn.
In the first photograph, the outside work along the spine side looks overdone.
It's a drawing I believe.
It looks much better in the actual cut engravings.
Care should be taken when shading these elements to not make them too pronounced.

ByrnBucks

Thanks John, After doodling a bit on a picture this…. Im almost certain to bungle up the shading haha but Iv always thought “at work” if you dont make mistakes you miss opportunities to learn lessons for future projects.
Got a border on there, going to post a sketch before adding some leafs to it as I’m not sure what would not clutter it up to much.
BB EB850587-BF1F-4BA2-A58B-EC1DB0AC1974.jpeg