AAAAARRRGGGHHH!!!! Rant to follow...

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
After ignoring increasingly insistent suggestions to upgrade the operating system on my iMac to El Capitan (how do they come up with these stupid names? used to be the equally inane series of large cats) i finally broke down and had the local CityMac do the install and a general cleanup.

NOTHING IS AS IT USED TO BE!!!!! i used to be able to load a shot into iPhoto (now just "Photos") and quickly do some basic editing for a transfer or whatever. BUT some team of %&*$#ing geeks had to impress their bosses and justify their paychecks by CHANGING %&$*ing EVERYTHING. NOT TO MAKE IT BETTER, JUST DIFFERENT!!!

rant over...for now. :mad::mad::mad:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Take a deep breath and count to ten while thinking pleasant thoughts, Mitch. Nothing stays the same with computers, operating systems, or software. And changes aren't always for the better. I use the latest OS and it runs well. The change from iPhoto to Photos bugged me at first but now I can drag and drop to Photoshop for my editing and life is good again.

My iMac is 2012 and still running strong, but I wouldn't mind a faster processor for video and photo editing.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My iMac is 2012 and still running strong, but I wouldn't mind a faster processor for video and photo editing.

I'm a Win 10 guy but, I do have what I call my mini-Cray Super Computer (Alienware). :) It's all solid state with 32 GB of RAM and a liquid cooled 6 core dual threaded processor (12 processors) and a super powerful video card. It's normally intended as a high-end gaming sytem but, I use it for photo and video editing, etc.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
I feel your pain. I mistakenly "upgraded" to El Cap this spring, not only does it look generic, I found out that my wacom tablet developed a several second lag, a common problem at the time, which I did not know until after the fact. I design all my work in photoshop and you just cannot work when everything happens 2 seconds after you make a move, so it pretty much shut me down. Luckily I was able to load a backup off of my external hardrive and returned everything back to my old operating system. But still lost a day and a half trying to fix it, before I gave up and went back. I have heard they have fixed the problem but am reluctant to "upgrade" until I really have to.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I'm a Win 10 guy but, I do have what I call my mini-Cray Super Computer (Alienware). :) It's all solid state with 32 GB of RAM and a liquid cooled 6 core dual threaded processor (12 processors) and a super powerful video card. It's normally intended as a high-end gaming sytem but, I use it for photo and video editing, etc.
doc: do you have to add antifreeze for winter use ?

monk

Staff member
i, too, feel yer pain (disgust) mitch. xp was a beautiful platform. that is, until xp was no longer supported. so i dumped microsoft in favor of the mac. probably a mistea(k). the early mac ver worked very nicely. now, with the "new & improved" ver, the i photo thingy displeases me. i bought a new chevvy last march. the electronic junk in it is nothing but nonsense i'll ever even learn to use. progress? gimme that ole fashioned regress!!

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Somebody could sell one hell of a lot of cars if they brought back sumthin' like the old VW bug. (sumthin' better lookin')

No AC, no power windows, no power steering, manual shift, no computer driven electronic crap... (by the way manual shift is now a theft preventative - few thieves can drive one)

Sumthin' you can fix yourself!

We used to do work on those engines on the kitchen table - when the S/O was outta the house.

All the "improvements" made over the years simply cost the owners more in technical expertise.

They want $300 for a copy of my electronic car key! No one is gonna steal a 15 year old car!

I just put a hidden switch under the dash. Cost $20...

As far as computers go, I will never live long enough to learn to use every feature I already HAVE, much less upgrade all the programs that work just fine as they are - for what I need them for. Life is complicated and expensive enough.

I don't see the need to constantly upgrade every other year. Let the young'uns pay the toll. Meanwhile, I'll upgrade when I need to upgrade - not when some geeks tell me to.

Brian

Last edited:

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
The EPA will not allow such a thing as the "Old Bug".

Silicone Valley Liberals and Seattle Island Hopper Liberals have to eat Brian! given'em a break.

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
Mitch, thanks for the heads up on El Capitan. I've been glancing at reviews since it came out and they still aren't overall favorable. I'll wait a little longer.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch, thanks for the heads up on El Capitan. I've been glancing at reviews since it came out and they still aren't overall favorable. I'll wait a little longer.

well, Robert, i don't even know how well it actually works because i haven't got around to COMPLETELY RELEARNING how to do everything i used to know how to do. for example, in the new, improved "Photos", i can't even FIND the d @ m n edit control panel/menu to use it. there's just the basic selection of operations like those available in my iPhone shown in the first 'edit' screen. maybe there's now some secret hand signal i need to wave in front of the monitor to make that appear???

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
well, Robert, i don't even know how well it actually works because i haven't got around to COMPLETELY RELEARNING how to do everything i used to know how to do. for example, in the new, improved "Photos", i can't even FIND the d @ m n edit control panel/menu to use it. there's just the basic selection of operations like those available in my iPhone shown in the first 'edit' screen. maybe there's now some secret hand signal i need to wave in front of the monitor to make that appear???

Who edits photos in Photos anyhow? Use Photoshop and do it right :D

monk

Staff member
Somebody could sell one hell of a lot of cars if they brought back sumthin' like the old VW bug. (sumthin' better lookin')

No AC, no power windows, no power steering, manual shift, no computer driven electronic crap... (by the way manual shift is now a theft preventative - few thieves can drive one)

Sumthin' you can fix yourself!

We used to do work on those engines on the kitchen table - when the S/O was outta the house.

All the "improvements" made over the years simply cost the owners more in technical expertise.

They want $300 for a copy of my electronic car key! No one is gonna steal a 15 year old car!

I just put a hidden switch under the dash. Cost $20...

As far as computers go, I will never live long enough to learn to use every feature I already HAVE, much less upgrade all the programs that work just fine as they are - for what I need them for. Life is complicated and expensive enough.

I don't see the need to constantly upgrade every other year. Let the young'uns pay the toll. Meanwhile, I'll upgrade when I need to upgrade - not when some geeks tell me to.

Brian

a friend that owned a mercedes, had to have his "baby" hauled to the dearlership just to have a dang battery installed! it seems the battery had to be electronically married to the car. whatever happened to "just living together" ?

Latest posts

Sponsors