advice for a block head needed

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
So I traded my 30 year old GRS standard block for one only about 10 years old. The newer block hasn't had much use and is in great condition. The old block was in great shape but I wanted to take it apart to use with an Otto Carter retro-fit true axis base. The fit into the Otto base requires the center post to be removed and in the old block the center post was just a long solid pipe that had frozen into place and couldn't be removed. So I went to the new block and found I couldn't budge the base from the top.

There must be a hell of a vacuum created by the post. I tried removing the brake nut, spring and wooden brake. I tied flowing acetone in to the empty brake hole and can see the post turning just fine. Tried lifting it out and got a big strong friend who couldn't budge it either. I don't want to do anything else without getting some advice.

Anyone have any ideas?

Allan the vanquished

Attachments

• IMG_0887.jpeg
    IMG_0887.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0888.jpeg
    IMG_0888.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
So I called GRS and they told me that most of the blocks are now made to not come apart anymore. As unbelievable as it sounds they are had to do this because a few customers actually turned the block upside down with the top falling on their feet. I don't know why anyone would do that but the service department guy I talked to told me that was the reason. They actually had to build a tool that could separate the top from the bottom.

So now I have to get the old block back in exchange for the newer block and take it to a machine shop to have the center post removed.

Such is life

Allan

monk

Staff member
So I called GRS and they told me that most of the blocks are now made to not come apart anymore. As unbelievable as it sounds they are had to do this because a few customers actually turned the block upside down with the top falling on their feet. I don't know why anyone would do that but the service department guy I talked to told me that was the reason. They actually had to build a tool that could separate the top from the bottom.

So now I have to get the old block back in exchange for the newer block and take it to a machine shop to have the center post removed.

Such is life

Allan
my victor is so air tight you can hold it by the top and it will not come down until you exert enough pull to overcome the air pressure holding it together.

Latest posts

Sponsors