Question: Advice on GRS classes or private instruction?

Hi everybody

i have a bit of a question for anybody willing to answer.

I’m striving every day to continue to improve and eventually make FEGA master engraver. I am quite proud of what i have been able to accomplish so far but I’m lacking or need some help with couple of techniques that are needed for me to reach this goal. Bulino is one technique I am completely lacking any experience at all, and my Shading is something that could use a bit help. Not to mention I have no gunsmithing experience whatsoever. I’m looking at GRS classes To help me improve. Specifically the 1911 engraving and bulino classes offered by them. however, I dont use the GRS system in my work, im a Lindsay guy. From what I’ve heard about GRS they insist You use there system while taking classes there. I don’t want to have to use a system I’m not used while learning new technique. with that in mind, do you think I should be looking for help elsewhere? do you think I should be looking at private instruction in my case?

thanks for your advice everyone!

JB

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
There is nothing like being there with an instructor to get little nuances that you can't get from videos. Several schools have Lindsey equipment available, such as Ray Cover's school and the Texas Engraving School. If you haven't tried bulino at all, you may want to start with excellent videos from Christian DeCamillis (available on Tira Mitchell's engraver.com website) and Jake Newell (available on the grs.com website). Jake teaches a bulino course at GRS. Although GRS does not have the Lindsey equipment, they do have palm control handpieces at each table, so it probably wouldn't be all that big a deal to use their equipment for a class.

Deb Williams

Focus on learning technique instead of worrying about the equipment. A private class allows more time for specific questions YOU have rather than being stuck in a general program. After four GRS classes, I spent a week with Sam Alfano and a week with Lee Griffiths at their shop - wish I had skipped GRS.
Deb Williams

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
A few more suggestions--if you want to spend quality time with a bulino guru (and a scroll guru and a shading guru), Lee Griffiths may also be one you want to consider. If you can't travel to his site, he is about to start offering online classes, so stay tuned for that. Lee has taught live at the Texas Engraving School and Wes Griffin is helping Lee to set up his own online training, in similar fashion to that offered by Wes. Brian Powley also offers online engraving instruction on a one-to-one basis to work on whatever is on your mind. All of these folks are excellent instructors and have a wicked sense of humor. The online consultation by Brian Powley seems to be an excellent way to eat into learning new stuff an hour or two at a time; you can learn, go off and design/cut, come back and get critiqued and learn, rinse and repeat. That method allows time to reflect, figure out what you missed the first time around, and come back and regroup to clarify things in the next session. If you don't travel, you can afford to pay more per hour of targeted instruction online.

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
If you are heavy into more ornate leaves and scrolls, Sam Alfano teaches an Arabesque scroll course at GRS and also does one-on-one teaching in his shop in Louisiana on subjects of your choice. 1645116845680.png

Latest posts

Sponsors