Advice

Beeman

Hi, l am new to the site and am seeking advice with engraving equipment.
I am an amateur clockmaker, mainly longcase clocks and have been making my own dials with a bit of a struggle push graving, which l don’t find easy. So l am thinking of buying a pneumatic set up.
Now being of a certain age and having worked and saved all my life for a rainy day, by the way it’s beginning to throw it down just recently, cost is not too much of a problem, however l wouldn’t want to waste money.
I have looked at the Grs Gravermach and the Lindsey equipment.
Would l be better with palm control of foot control? Also am l correct in thinking if l purchased a Lindsey hand piece it would run directly off a suitable compressor.
The Lindsey equipment looks good but what about after sales side of things.
The Gravermach would give me the best of both worlds and purchased in the UK l would have thought after sales problems and help would be easier.
I would appreciate any help and advice.

Regards

pkroyer

If you think you might like hand control, it will be cheaper to go that route from the beginning. I am also of a certain age, and when I bought a gravermach, I felt that having hand control might be better on my back and neck. With hand control I don't have to sit in a constant way to keep my foot on the peddle.

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
Both are great companies and offer top notch support. I use a Lindsey palm control classic because no foot pedal and no control box.

Beeman

Thanks for your replies. I am thinking the Lindsey palm control my be the way to go.
Can any one recommend a suitable compressor?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if push work gives you fits, you're not alone. the air toys allow one to work faster and more efficiently. they also shorten "the curve". be aware-- the skill comes from diligent practice, not any sort of tool. as has been said many times," the skill comes from the guiding hand, not the tool". do not be discouraged, just be comimtted to learning. it all comes with time. good luck.

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
if push work gives you fits, you're not alone. the air toys allow one to work faster and more efficiently. they also shorten "the curve". be aware-- the skill comes from diligent practice, not any sort of tool. as has been said many times," the skill comes from the guiding hand, not the tool". do not be discouraged, just be comimtted to learning. it all comes with time. good luck.
I may be odd but I started with a Lindsey and have gradually found myself doing more push engraving. I have almost no GRS experience. The point of my comment is that I find the pneumatic tool a great learning tool regardless of how much I use it in the future.

Sponsors