Alternate tools for graver sharpening

Thread starter #1
Hey guys!

I wanted to start a quick conversation about graver sharpening. I know about most all of the standard tools and the power hone system, etc. But I am also a stone cutter and the power hone looks very similar to my variable speed faceting machine. Is that machine, with an appropriate graver fixture, pretty much able to do what a power hone can? It seems like I might even get a finer polish easier with the right grit and abrasives.

Thoughts from the experts?

Edit: I'd have tried already but I just have a crocker fixture at the moment, which is not the right tool. I'd get a GRS fixture for the lap wheel. Seems like it's just a power hone on steroids right?

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
The faceter system will work. The hones are basically the same, the GRS is nice, but it does the same thing. The angle thing that you use to grind facets on gems will also let you grind consistent angles on the gravers. You will need to jury rig a graver holder and figure out the angles and you will get the same results.

RA40

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Similar had been mentioned to me by a lapidary buddy. In my case I may begin using ours when working stone.

Sponsors