Another little bit of practice

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
I figured I would try something that is a bit closer to what I normally do for a living. I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to bulino and I'm not sure if this would actually classify as such. I will call this one done for now though as the plate itself is all scratched up, as I didn't put enough effort into to prepping it. Wish I would have though looking back. Next time I will prep the plate better and try to make it an actual design, instead of just an animal...

Please feel free to rip it apart...

Pretty hard to take a picture of btw...it looks better in person, but I may be slightly biassed...hahaha

Marc 20210517_154403.jpg

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Very nice. Very light and well done.
I would like a little heavier presentation with more shadow, darks and dimension.
Such as the bridge of the nose, inside corner of the eyes, nose to cheeks and under the bottom jaw.
Just my thinking. But maybe you were looking for a light presentation of your beautiful tiger.

Last edited:

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice. Very light and well done.
I would like a little heavier presentation with more shadow, darks and dimension.
Such as the bridge of the nose, inside corner of the eyes, nose to cheeks and under the bottom jaw.
Just my thinking. But maybe you were looking for a light presentation of your beautiful tiger.
In person it looks alot darker, I don't know why, but as soon as I take a picture of it it lightens the image quite a bit. Doesn't change the fact that it would benefit from a little(lot) more work. But...since this plate is all scratched up, I feel it would be somewhat of a waste of time. I'm going to start a well-prepped plate soon which I will finish as if it were a paid job. Mistakes and all...hahaha. This was a nice side-project while I'm working on my graver control and shading. Just to see if I like doing something like this....and yes...I do

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
You have a good one going here with a little more work. Don't waste it.
With a little more work and a light background treatment of trees, grasses, sky, hills and texture etc. you can cover most of the plate scratches.

Old saying, with some truth. :)
"The difference between a Pro and an Amateur"
The Pros know how to fix their mistakes! And you ARE a PRO!
Just give it a little more time and thought, please.

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
You have a good one going here with a little more work. Don't waste it.
With a little more work and a light background treatment of trees, grasses, sky, hills and texture etc. you can cover most of the plate scratches.

Old saying, with some truth. :)
"The difference between a Pro and an Amateur"
The Pros know how to fix their mistakes! And you ARE a PRO!
Just give it a little more time and thought, please.
Hahaha...I always tell people the same thing, but in a different profession.
I will try and work on it every once in a while when I get tired of practicing tapered lines and hairline starts...or when I get frustrated with another project...just to relax...hahaha

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
So much better, and nearly hypnotic eyes!
Really masterful.
Thanks John, you are being too kind. Since I just started this engraving journey, this is hardly masterfull. I will be ordering some bulino dvd's as soon as I can and see if I can understand what it takes to get to such a level.
Still need to darken the background a little more with some foliage shapes(I think) and take care of the cheek on the right, which is slightly larger at the moment. That should make it look a bit better imho.
My wife wants me to do an elephant next...oigh...all those wrinkles. I'll see if I can document the proces. Mild steel seems to be a better choice for that one.

Anyways, I will post the finished plate as soon as I'm done and satisfied...

Latest posts

Sponsors