Announcement: Another update from Andrew

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just got another e-mail from Andrew and am posting it below.
I will keep people posted whenever I hear from him.

We are all alive and well which is better than some poor souls out there. Again on on Rebecca's computer as our power is off still and won't be on for maybe a week or more, The water is on thank goodness.

We've managed to tidy the house up but the tile roof is looking a bit worse for wear and that will probably need replacing at some stage. We also had a lot of stuff broken that insurance will eventually take care of. But we are all OK and doing alright. We are hoping to have a hot shower tonight........bliss!!!

Our house is right on the cusp of the worst affected area which is on the east side of Christchurch. All around us is major land subsidence, cracks in the earth and major damage to property. Liquifaction is a huge issue as there is tons of the stuff everywhere. Roads and bridges all around us are completely buggered and as you stand there it looks so surreal and it takes a bit to actually see what you are looking at.

So far 50% of Christchurch has no mains water and 25% no power. The inner city is beyond description and a large majority of it is lost. The rescue teams from all around the world including the USA are still in amongst the rubble looking for survivors and bodies. Unfortunately as each day goes by the body count rises and rescue diminishes. They are probably the bravest people in the world as the aftershocks continue to rock us regularly. When an aftershock hits we just look around ready to run.

Mary has been working all the way through as she is in charge of a whole lot of community nurses that have to go out and see people and Mary is doing that side of things as well. We are not sleeping well as with each aftershock you dive for cover. People are just exhausted and even a slight tremor sends the heart racing..

East from us is the worst area and people being still evacuated from the hill suburbs and the port of Lyttleton where the epicenter was. The beach property area of Brighton is just a total mess. The authorities are doing there best and have put water collection centers all over the city and portable toilets. The international response is truly heartwarming. The army are everywhere and it is strange to see them guarding places and army vehicles everywhere. A sight we are not used to seeing here in new Zealand. Extra police have been flown in from Australia to protect neighborhoods from the usual scum that arise from these occasions.

All in all Rex it's really, really bad and something I would not want to ever experience again. From what little TV coverage I've seen the aftermath in town is just horrific. The suburbs have fared better but only just and people are fleeing the city. The stories coming out over the radio are enough to make you weep. Such bravery, terror and carnage is beyond description.

Needless to say I'm buggered with engraving and getting the magazine done. But I'll start on it when the power comes on.

Cheers
Andrew

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew,

Good and bad news. Good to hear that the world responded adequately to this natural disaster. Good to realize that You and Mary are oké and can work your way back to the normal life. Bad news is that as days go by, still unfortunate people are found, horrific.
I wish you all the luck, wisdom and strength of the world.

Thanks Rex.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks for the update, Rex. What an incredible tragedy Andrew and Mary are in the midst of. At least they're ok. It's great to get word from them. / ~Sam

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for the update Rex, sure good to hear Andrew and Marry are fine. Sure looks bad from the pictures I have seen.

Peter

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
in the midst of all that, and he has to keep an ear on alert when sleeping__ all i can say is god be with you and all your fellow zealanders.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew, I appreciate your dedication to the magazine, but it is of no importance compared to the safety and well being of you and your family. I can only pray that those whose lives have been shattered by this will be up-lifted. Rex and Andrew I would be willing to do anything that I could to help, please let me know.

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Good luck

Andrew, my heart goes out to you and your family and all of your countrymen. While no comparison to a major event like you have suffered through, we lived through major flood in Nashville TN last spring, as much disruption as that was, I can't imagine what your country is going thru.

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Rex for giving us news on Andrew

Andrew and his family are in our minds . Bon Courage mes amis ....

Jean