Any News from Reno on the Sharpening Fixture?

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There was some mention about a new graver sharpening fixture that was to be unveiled at FEGA. I am curious to hear about it? :D

Peter

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Peter,

I promised Paul that I would hold my tongue on this until he got to debute it at Reno. So I guess I am free to speak now.

He sent one to Brian Marshall, Jim Small and me to field test for him.

We have all had input to make it even better and I am sure it will continue to evolve. I don't have a lot of time at the moment (have to get a job done) so I will let Steve and Paul give the gory details. I will say this though. It is the most accurate and fastest fixture I have ever used.

Ray

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I promised Paul that I would hold my tongue on this until he got to debute it at Reno. So I guess I am free to speak now.

I just don't have time to go into all of it right now.

Ray

Jim Small

Let me see if I can help out here. Ray and Bryan and I have beta tested these fixtures for the last month or so. We have extensively put them to the task and changes have been made to the original fixture to make them better and help make them simpler for the engravers that will be using them. The photos are of one of the earlier fixtures but the present fixture has not changed that much from what your see.
What we were looking for was perfect repeatability for sharpening the graver points. From the beginning, as many of you know, grinding the graver and getting back to the same point every time was a real chore….with the new tool you can grind a perfect point with all the angles every time. I mentioned in an earlier thread on another channel that I ground three complete gravers in less than eight minutes….it is true. The accuracy of the linier post bearing helps hold the tool to the lap with positive accuracy and the brass indexing plate makes grinding a specific tool point remarkably consistent every time. I am sure more will be said on all of the forums about this new grinding fixture…so we will have to wait for the final assessments. I am very pleased with mine and use it everyday. I can think of nothing to say negative about Paul Hamler’s design it is a great tool and the most important thing is…..it works.

Tom White

It is at Reno

Yes the tool made the debut and sold out of the ones on hand in the first couple of hrs. I did use it at the show and the simplicity and repeatability is wonderful. I have one on order as soon as they are done. It has evolved from the design in Jims photos I think the one now is easier to use. What I was amazed with was the speed you can create a point even from a new blank also the ease of resharpening the time saved will be used to engrave and after all that is what we hope to get paid for. Also this is so easy to use that I think we will all find ourselves using sharper gravers as the time and hassle will be reduced.

Tom White

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
Interesting photo on a different use of a proven and long lived design. i have had mine for about 30 years now. i have been wondering how long it would take someone to add a collet to an existing machine. the GRS fixture does lack micro adjustment on the vertical,don't they?

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Somewhere along the line I think I may have missed something ( I just use tools and I'm affraid I'm a bit of a technophobe/dummy).

Please could someone explain (for those of us who aren't up to speed) what this fixture does and how it differs from the GRS Dual Angle? It looks very interesting but a bit on the large side. What does it cost?

cheers,
Marcus

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In looking at the pictures, I can see the collet on the post would make it perhaps a bit smoother there than the GRS Dual Angle fixture, but it does appear very similar conceptually. Having larger wheels with the degree settings would pprobably make it easier for quickly adjusting the angles. Is it simply machined to closer tolerances that makes it more precise ?

I think it looks kind of bulky as well.

Based on the opinions of those testing it, I am sure it does what is stated. I would be interested to know the cost also.

Thanks
Peter

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Whilst I sit here and eat my breakfast before church this morning I will try to give a bit more info.

A feature that has been spotted is the thrust bearing/bushing at the post. The post itself is larger Dia. and is made of precision ground steel. Paul used a thrust bushing (Paul will have to tell you exactly what kind) to engage the post. This takes out all the play the dual angle fixture has and still keep the opperation very smooth.

Another development was the addition of a direct read dial. For example lets say you wanted to regrind a graver with a 70 degree belly for fine shading work or a 120 belly for bright cut. With the old system you had to use the formula 180 - included angle =X divided by 2. So if I wanted a 70 degree belly I had to set the roll angle of the fixture on 55 and 55. For a 120 It has to be set on 30 and 30. Makes a lot of sense no.

Well with this fixture if you want a 70 degree belly you set it on 70 and 70 for a 120 belly you set it on 120 and 120 and so on. Makes life a lot simpler on those days when you have a brain fart and do the math wrong and wonder why your stupid graver won't cut like you expected.

Another added feature is the positive stops on both the post angles and the roll angles. On the templates (or dial plates) there is a series of curved grooves cut and holes drilled. THese are not notched indexes but actual positive stops. Here is how they work. On the standard template there are the positve stops for a 90 degree square and Steve's patented point. So if I want to grind/sharpen a square graver I do not even need to use the dials. The post dial has the appropriate post angles pre drilled and has a pin that goes into the hole to hold position (don't need to tighten the set screw just put in the pin). The roll angle plate has a groove that stops at 45 and 45. You put the pin in that grove, choose the post angle hole you want, roll the template all the way to the left till it stops and touch it on your polishing wheel, roll it all the way to the right till it stops and touch it on your polishing wheel. Bang you just did a compound heel in a matter of seconds. Not having to read the dial and set the set screw at the appropriate stop each time saves a lot of time.

I had paul make me up a set of templates with bulino angles on it. So on days I am doing bulino all day I can sharpen using the bulino templates and never have to read the dial. As a matter fo fact my bulino templates don't even have the dial numbers engraved on the back. don't need them.

Mine is a lot more compact looking than the one jim has pictured. His is a much earlier version than the one I have here.

And did I mention how precise it was. It really is a precision machined piece of equipment.

As far as price (don't hold me to this because I am not sure what was finally decided on) the number I heard being tossed around was in the $250 range.

Ray

jacques herbst

Elite Cafe Member
where can i order this new sharpening fixture?i sharpen my gravers on a home made one and it just does not work so good,it works better than i can do by hand,but its far from perfect.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Sorry for taking do long to get some photos up. Have had a problem with the computer and camera not wanting to talk to each other. Soon as I get it worked out I will post some. The show has been Great. The only new equipment that I have seen is GRS's new Airtac system. hooks up to any of the GRS systems, Mach Max, Meister. It is really neat. No longer need a foot peddle. Soon as I can get computer and camera in the right space I'll put up some pictures. What else would you like to see?

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Not sure about the time thing. It is 9:20am in Reno. My computer is on its own time I guess.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sounds great Ray....I hate maths and anything that simplifies sharpening is fantastic. If, as you say, the production model's more compact then I'd really be interested. How would I go about ordering one?

And Sandy, I'd love to see those photos. Keep trying to post them please.

cheers,
Marcus

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus,

I am assuming that Paul or Steve will have them for sale when they get back from Reno. Steve will probably have them on his website.

Ray

Jim Small

I just got off the line with Paul Hamler this early PM and it will be sometime tomorrow before he can get the new photos up and a price quote. Ray thanks for your fine explanation...well done. According to Paul everything went well at the Reno Show and that the new sharpening device was well received.
Thanks
Jim

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
JIM, Where DID you get that avatar. The resemblance is spot on :) Even captures the crazed look in your eyes.....:eek:

Latest posts

Sponsors