Question: Anybody used a surgical microscope

Doctorslava

Hi, everybody. I try to find an answer on a question is a surgical microscope (this big one with a floor tripod) can be used for engraving? I think it has a good potential since it has a long working distance and sturdy arm, but I do not know if anybody tried it before. I found one listed for sale for $250 which is even cheaper than GRS Acrobat stand and thinking towards buying it and using for engraving. Thanks
Slava

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'd guess it's just an ordinary zoomer. with maybe a .3 reducing lens. the stand would just allow the scope to swing over the area, only to be height readjusted to suit the doc doing the work. other than the stand, i don't think there was anything special about those scopes.

Doctorslava

I got more pictures of that scope and it was not a zoomer. It was made in West Germany means it is pre-1989. That one had 6 pair of lenses so only 6 discrete magnifications. A smallest was x6. No reducing lens and 200mm working distance. I decided not to take this one. Monk, thank you for your answer.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doc
Next time provide the maker and model, a couple of experts hang out here,could provide better info. I am not one. Good luck

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if of german manufacture, it very likely was a high quality instrument. the optics from germany were top shelf for a number of years. when i was a histological technician, i was able to us a zeiss trinoc/compound. all the optics, including the 97x were hand ground, and were capable of the theoretical limit of reolution.
i would again guess yours may have been a specially made scope. i'd love to see fotos of it if u have them.

Aventuraal

That is a Zeiss OPMI surgical scope, likeky a later series One model. Same one I use; you can get various objectives for different working distances without a negative Barlow needed, as well as different eyepieces and some lighting is still around. If you can get it, you won't be disappointed.

Doctorslava

This is the one I use. Olympus SZ. I made this arm from a page holder, two large nuts and some self-madecaluminum parts. It is OK, but I want something sturdier. As a scientist I work almost daily with scopes. For over two decades I used any brand you can imagine. But all scopes were on a boom. I never tested this surgical suspension. I have no idea how rigid is this. That's why I asked if anybody used a surgical scope prior to driving 170 miles to pick this one. Especially during carantine. So far I am staying home with my good old skope. Thank you all foor answers. 20200408_132631.jpg

Aventuraal

One thing I forgot to mention, and you should find out from the seller, if it's on a Zeiss stand. They were fitted to a variety of stands, depending on the original configuration as ordered. There are numerous arms and angle attachments that were made for the stand, configured to the order, but available as options, some are floating around on EBay, although the prices have risen sharply in the last few years. The model you are looking at should take the 48mm objective, ranging from 125 mm to 400 mm; eyepieces were 10x, 12x, 16x and 20x. I use a 200mm final objective most of the time, but I have several of the others. For the money, it's a steal, especially if it's got the stand with it. Good Lluck!

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Slava,

That looks very similar to the one I picked up a few years ago - same make and similar design but I think mine could be a little older based on its colour. The only problem I have with mine is the lighting - globes are still available but I think I have a loose wire that needs fixing - otherwise it will be a good buy for you.

Roger