Question: Anyone know who engraved this?

Ron Jr.

Elite Cafe Member
Engraving on an older Joe Kious knife. Anybody know who? Thanks:)

Oh and sorry for the pic quality, I don't possess it to take better ones.

Attachments

• k2.jpg
    k2.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 154
  • k1.jpg
    k1.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 151
  • k4.jpg
    k4.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 147
  • k3.jpg
    k3.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Ron: At first glance it appears to be the work of Lynton McKenzie. At second glance it appears to be a copy of his style and it's unlikely that he engraved it. If he had, 1.) there would certainly be the initials LMcK signed on it somewhere. 2.) there are some shading cuts which appear to be different than the way Lynton would have shaded, and 3.) I've never seen Lynton use a beading tool (commonly referred to as a "punch dot" tool by engravers) in recessed background areas. Not saying he never used one...I've just never seen him use one. Lastly, the photos are not very big so I'm basing my opinion on what I can see, which certainly could be better with hi-res photos. If I'm wrong and it is Lynton's engraving, then you have an example of his work. It's darn nice engraving regardless of who did...it looks very clean and well cut. Lynton was plagued and extremely frustrated over the many copies of his signature scrollwork that confused collectors worldwide. Maybe this is an example of one of those.

Have you contacted Joe about this piece? Chances are he'd know.

I guess I'm not helping you with WHO did it, but giving you my opinion as to who DIDN'T do it.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i will go on record and say it is definitely NOT Lynton's work- there are just too many differing details. it's not a bad impression or emulation of his engraving, but that only narrows it down to about a hundred guys...:rolleyes:

Sponsors