Help, please: ARTISAN vs. CLASSIC Airgraver purchase recommendation

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
I have been learning engraving using chasing hammer and chisels as well as push hand graver for about 2 years. I am self-taught using books and videos as guides. Engraving is to be a hobby with me and as I am 70 years old I do not have a lot of years remaining to engrave. My engraving is and will be on firearms and other objects of steel.

Will some of you who use Lindsay Airgravers be so kind as to give me a recommendation to whether it is appropriate for me to purchase a Classic or a Artisan Airgraver.

Kindest Regards;

Steve

mrthe

the two tools are great tools but buy a classic have more regulation options is a little more expensive but is more complete

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Just curious as to why you would ask that on this forum? There is one that is devoted to the Lindsay products, and they would delete the post if you asked about or recommended the GRS products!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
There are plenty of Cafe members who use Lindsay products, and there's certainly nothing wrong with asking the question here.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As Sam said, this forum is vendor neutral so it's a good place to ask about anything.
The Lindsay forums, being sponsored by Steve, tend to be Lindsay specific as you'd expect.

That being said, I'll pass along the standard advice from the Lindsay forum:
The difference between the Classic and the Artisian is the adjustable stroke on the Classic. That makes it like a car with multiple gears vs. one that has just a single gear. You can do pretty much anything with the Artisian that you can with the Classic but it can be a lot harder.

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks KCSteve, Sam, et al;

Your advice is well appreciated, especially the analogy to the automobile transmission.

I asked the question here on this forum it seems to my mind the forum that will provide answers for me from the most wide range of experience of all the tools.

Best Regards;
Steve

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It sounds to me that you have already decided upon one of the Lindsay products. Hopefully, you've also considered the various options from GRS. You may not be quite as portable and you are pretty much tied to an air compressor with the GRS tools but they have some advantages also. Nearly infinite strokes per minute settings, the ability to power two hand pieces and a rotary tool at the same time, the ability to use a variety of hand pieces according to your work and your preferences... those are just a few that come immediately to mind. I've never owned a Lindsay hand piece and I may or may not buy one some day. But, just in case you haven't considered all your options, you might want to look at the GRS equipment. :thumbsup:

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There are several different power assist engraving tools available now.I think it is a matter of buying the best tool that suites your need that you can afford. Happy engraving!!!!!!:happyvise::handpiece::graver::chip::fastgraver::thumbsup:

Sponsors