Baking Lacquer over etchers ink???

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What I need to know is how good will Baking Lacquer adhere over etchers ink. I have a barrel with a bolino or bank note game scene on it and I intend to brown the other part of the barrel so I am going to put matte baking lacquer on the game scene first to stop it from browning. Then mask off the part where the scene is and brown the rest of the barrel. It is a flintlock. I have already inked the scene but I could wash it off and ink it with black baking lacquer in place of etchers ink to darken the engraving. Any opinions on this? I am hoping Phil Coggan will chime in on this.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
If it is not necessary to heat the part to be browned I would think about using fingernail polish. I have browned barrels and it was a matter of applying a solution as many times as needed. Then remove the nail polish with acetone. Nail polish now comes in many colors including black. could be used to fill the game scene as well.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Jerry,
I'm guessing the ink you're using is a cold set so it may need to "dry" a bit more than normal. Is this intended as permanent or only temporary while browning? I would say it would adhere fine but using only pigment may be a safer bet. Have a trialed a piece to see if it works the way you need? Best wishes on your success, always enjoy your direction of work.
Mark

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I haven't used printers ink but have used enamel and usually enamel and lacquer don't mix but I didn't have any issues. I did allow the enamel to dry well however.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I Inked the scenes with etchers ink and let it dry for about a week. Then cleaned the surface with lacquer thinner and acetone. Neither solvent took off the etchers ink so that part worked well. Then I airbrushed on a thin coat of matte clear baking lacquer. When the lacquer dried you could wipe it off with your finger if you rubbed hard. So I removed it and re applied the same way than baked it at 325 for about 35 or 40 minutes. You can scratch it off with your fingernail without much effort. I never heard of anybody else having this trouble.
I think I found the problem. Honestly-- I think it is the government again. EPA.

Last edited:

Sponsors