Critique Request Balanced pendant for beginner

Matthew Evans

Elite Cafe Member
IMG_20191001_234418_607.jpg

From a perfectionist who never gets anything done, i am trying to give up that overly critical aspect. This is a good step for me as its something i can cut and improve on. Give me your critique if you would. I will clean up my edges, angles, and add shading, but overall wadya think?

Matthew Evans

Elite Cafe Member
Ill see if i can curl the c scroll a little more to make it circular, i appreciate the feedback

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would add more thick and thin lines to bring out the richness of the design. If necessary, enlarge the design for facilitating the design process then reduce back down to the design you want. It is amazing how a variety of lineweights makes any design more interesting to look at and adds dimension.

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
A few things I've thought about this.

The first is whether you're going to be engraving this on something or cutting it out. If your going to be engraving this onto a piece of metal you can choose the shape of the metal to fit the design with a few modifications. It might go well on a heart pendant since the top is wider than the bottom, like a heart, but you'd have to narrow the bottom. It could go on a rectangle, like dog tag, but you'd have to add a bit more fill. It could go on an oval shaped flat locket, but it might have to be narrower.

I think the problem you have is not defining the shape you want to engrave on before you started drawing. I have the same problem engraving jewelry. Sales people have great ideas for engraving a design. The problem is they draw this design on a piece of paper, where there is lots of room in all directions. But when you transfer the design to the shape that it has to be engraved on it doesn't work. Just doesn't work.

Gun and knife engravers always start with a drawing of the piece, sometimes casual, sometimes detailed before they start laying out. So should we all.

Now if you're going to be cutting this out from blank stock with a jewelers saw its a pretty good design, since a lot of the mass is in the lower half and it shouldn't flip. The jump rings that connect the pendant to the chain can go on the top scrolls a little in to the center of the scroll. The balls may be a little tough to cut out. Might want to switch to a leaf.

allan

monk

Staff member
you'll find the scroll is a design format that can nicely fit any shape, no matter how strange. the crazier the shape,
looks pretty good.........but as Mr.Monk says, not for a circle.
monk is a nickname. the only person that ever called me "mister" was my mother. when she called me that, i knew bad things were to exit the fan !

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
you are sooooo right, when mister is heard chances are dad heard about the mishap.............then the stuff gets bad

Latest posts

Sponsors