Ball vise for hammer & chisel?

DTS419

Does a basic ball vise work for hammer & chisel? What keeps it from spinning while you are working, since with H&C you don't have one hand on the vice like you do when using pneumatic or push?
Thanks

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Most ball vises, if not all, have a setscrew that locks the rotation of the crown.

For H&C you definitely need weight and mass. I've used the Magnablock, but the GRS Positioning Vise is bigger and heavier. If you're using a microscope then I'm not sure either one is suitable. I have a Letourneau (sp?) that Weldon Lister used for H&C work.

When I did my hammer & chisel video, none would work as they had too much shake for making video. I ended up using a massive Italian engraving vise mounted on a huge hunk of steel. But they might be suitable for non-video and microscope applications.

Back in the day I used this vise mounted on a steel shaft that turned on a bearing in the floor. It was solid enough for H&C with a microscope.

Attachments

• sam_new_orleans_arms 2.jpg
    sam_new_orleans_arms 2.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 82

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Shane ,I like engraving at pedestal were I can walk around and cut scrolls in one pass go to my face book page and you'll my video's J.J.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with Sam - you need a heavy, steady vise for H&C...the idea is to, as close as possible, achieve ZERO VIBRATION. when I first started engraving (1966) I used a vise called the VERSA VISE. I was able to attach it to a heavy workbench and lock everything down. At one time I used a machinist vise (made for use on milling machines and drill presses) mounted up like Sam's photo example. I've seen photos of that kind of setup used across the spectrum of H&C engravers...US and International My last H&C vise (of the day) was a GRS Magna Block. I attached a 10" X 10" wood post to one corner of my bench, secured at the base, hollowed out the top with drills and wood chisels, and then set the Magna Block down in auto body putty (up to the crown stop screw). I set the stop screw so that the crown was rather tight, but it still allowed me to revolve it. That set up allowed me to stand at the corner of my bench and cut nearly 3/4 of a circle/scroll before I had to revolve the block enough to start again. That also allowed me to cant the vise about 8 degrees.
I still occasionally hammer and chisel today, but I do it in my 38-pound LaTourneau, or in a Lindsay Titan - 90 pounds, and very steady.

Reactions: Sam

DTS419

Currently I am using this in expensive swivel vice from Harbor Freight. Believe it or not, it actually works quite well. I adjust the work by loosening the screws on the sides and it pivots in two directions. Only problem is, this process can take several seconds, sometimes just enough to disrupt the flow or work.

Would a 5" ball vise provide any benefit, or is that going to do essentially the same thing?

Sponsors