Banknote engraving examples

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thank you for sharing the wonderful banknote portraits Sam. They are fantastic study material.
I believe drawing with pen and ink also teaches much of the same discipline of shading and contour that we use in engraving.
Two books that are great for banknote and bulino study are Rendering in Pen and Ink by Arthur L. Guptill, ISBN 0-8230-4529-3 and Sketching Your Favorite Subject in Pen & Ink by Claudia Nice, ISBN 0-89134-472-1.
Another great book on banknote is Gustave Dore Engravings published by Alpine Fine Arts Collection (UK) LTD. ISBN 0-88168-019-4.

Last edited:

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for sharing the wonderful banknote portraits Sam. They are fantastic study material.
I believe drawing with pen and ink also teaches much of the same discipline of shading and contour that we use in engraving.
Two books that are great for banknote and bulino study are Rendering in Pen and Ink by Arthur L. Guptill, ISBN 0-8230-4529-3 and Sketching Your Favorite Subject in Pen & Ink by Claudia Nice, ISBN 0-89134-472-1.
Another great book on banknote is Gustave Dore Engravings published by Alpine Fine Arts Collection (UK) LTD. ISBN 0-88168-019-4.

I don't have that Dore' book, but I do have the Dante' books (Inferno, Paridisio and Purgatorio in Quatro size, with several other Dore' illustrated books. Sometimes they are available in used book stores for a decent price.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I had a student who engraved the portraits at the bureau of printing & engraving,she has now started a family and no longer engraves. J.J.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
What is a ruling machine? Internet search showed only some paper ruling machines for notebooks and such.

takedeadaim

I get to looking at the fantastic work and drawings here and before I know it 2 hours have passed. Thanks for posting these great examples.

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
there must be one around here in the cafe , capable of making a video tutorial... a " making of" of a small section...
I am really curious how exactly it s done...

this "scratch board drawings add and remove material, I d like to know how it s done on - I guess- copper or brass plate.
very nice work and impressive images...

Last edited:

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
is ruling machine another name for guilloché or rose turning machine?
seems that machine have same handles and stuff..

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
is ruling machine another name for guilloché or rose turning machine?
seems that machine have same handles and stuff..

Frank,

The ruling machines are much simpler than a Rose engine/lathe. The Rose has numerous rotary cams that, in combination can make all sorts of designs including guilloché. The Rose is mainly for work on round objects like watches, pendants, and such. Ruling machines are mostly used on flat surfaces such as copper, steel, and wood plates for engraved artwork.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
I've been studying old print engravings and actually wondered how did they got the shadelines so perfectly parallel and uniform, like the attached NY insurance map crop.

Was this done with ruling machine as well?

What sort of cutter did this machine use? I assume diamond shaped tip that scratched the surface, not actual graver to cut the lines?

Attachments

• nypl.digitalcollections.7aca3c37-b53f-63ab-e040-e00a180619d0.001.v_crop.jpg
    nypl.digitalcollections.7aca3c37-b53f-63ab-e040-e00a180619d0.001.v_crop.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 119
  • nypl.digitalcollections.96e7ad32-1e7d-5c64-e040-e00a18064991.001.g_crop.jpg
    nypl.digitalcollections.96e7ad32-1e7d-5c64-e040-e00a18064991.001.g_crop.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 118

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Roger
Sometimes I work with those machines..my question
Was pure grammatical one.sorry for the misunderstanding
Google translator seems confused about it as well ;-)

Latest posts

Sponsors