barrel pins

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
The barrels that are in alloy or for that matter steel framed revolvers that have a pin in the frame securing the barrel.............is a none removable barrel. I know thousands of my brothers and sisters that engrave did not know this. ( I'm wishing now) it was a learning experience for me as I am doing a AIG 38 special 2 " barrel alloy frame. I will keep you all posted. It's kinda in rough shape ........but.......it won't be when I'm done. paps

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Those barrels may
be removeable. I had sent my Model 29 back to Smith & Wesson,for another barrel to be fitted, and it was 'pinned'. The old barrel was returned to me, and those barrels are 'timed' to lock up just short of 'straight up and down' with the pin driven back in just after the proper torque is effected. The pin does not serve to retain the barrel, which has a 'flat' ground on its threaded portion which screws into the frame. The pin serves as a 'safety' retention should the barrel start to unscrew, for some reason. With an alloy frame and steel barrel, unless there is passivation done, it's possible that galvanic reaction may freeze the barrel to the frame and you may have the barrel frozen in place. I've seen weapons both with, and without, such pins but I've never had reason to pull one to see what's what. I've worked with enough aluminum and steels to know you can get a 'surprise' with galvanic reaction, but I don't know about pistols. Good Luck!

Last edited:

papart1

Rog.....the research I have done is pretty indepth, Italian made, mostly 32.. and a bunch were made for police I believe back in the early 70's that were 38 spl. alloyed frame. It's hard to find info today. very inexpensive I believe. paps

papart1

Ron I punched the pin out and it must index on the flat of the barrel instead of the pin........and your right there is some indication of diaelectric corrosion so I am going to return the pin and work with the frame as is, without barrel removal. Thanks for your knowledge and insight into these little bangers. paps

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
I have 2 cents to put in on this. It is my experience that many pistol barrels are pressed into the receiver of the pistol with a broch press, often they are a negative fit, in other words the barrel is a few .0002 larger than the hole in the receiver that it is pressed it to. Then the barrel and receiver will be drilled and pined together. I feel that removing the barrel from a firearm that is built in this manner need only be done at the manufacture or a master gunsmith.

papart1

thanks glek, I am returning the pin from whence it came and leaving it alone. I'm not even thinking about asking for problems. The only I have now is the cylinder eject spring..........its crimped and cannot be unscrewed.

papart1

that barrel gauld going in and will remove a given amount to press out.......... and then the stuff hits the fan.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
thanks glek, I am returning the pin from whence it came and leaving it alone. I'm not even thinking about asking for problems. The only I have now is the cylinder eject spring..........its crimped and cannot be unscrewed.
Thank you Papart1, I have know idea about a crimped spring, I wonder can the metal that was pressed over the spring be lifted enough to release the end of the spring? or you may have to cut the metal away and restake the spring during reassembly. However, make sure that you can move the metal enough to steak the spring back down before you cut any thing away.

papart1

Maybe this might help...........I don't convey my dialogue very good anymore. I sent it via smrt phone

papart1

cut the crimpted end and little tig tack to anchor also......damming the rest of the eject barrel tho so no heat is transfered

papart1

gcleaker, the crimped portion in the female barrel of this ejector rod assembly and the male part of the rod assembly recieves the crimp. I'll have it apart this week end and let you lnow what I find and the repair needed to return to service. paps

Latest posts

Sponsors