Basic Bench Lighting (not microscope)

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Hi
I'm hoping I can get some thoughts on best approaches and or lamps for lighting on a basic bench set up. I'm just a hobby beginner using a ball vise but lately I'm finding when practicing detail work I spend way more time fiddling with lighting and vise angle to see what I'm doing than cutting..
Does anyone have preferred solutions they use to get less glare and more diffuse light or other recommendations (either lamps/bulbs)) or angles)?
I think my problem is too much direct light and glare so it's hard to find the "sweet spot" where I can easily see the burr and tip over a range of angles.
I see some interesting diffuser set ups from SamW in past post searches.
Thanks
Jeremy

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
My setup which I have used for over 40 years has been a 3 bulb 4 foot fluorescent light fixture which I recently upgraded to toggled LED bulbs. It hangs about 21/2 feet above and a half foot behind my vise.

If needed, velum (tracing paper) can be used as a diffuser to further reduce any glare.

I also work with a ball vise.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
when using the scope, i use leonardos' ring light. i've also been using it now and then with my loupes.. i just loosen the track lock screw, and shift the angle about 15 degrees. this works well as my ball vise is always centered on a bearing bed. before the ring light, i used an led flashlight powered by a wall wart.

Latest posts

Sponsors