Basic 'rules' of scrollwork

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So as not to highjack another thread I though I'd better start another one. Please forgive me in advance if anything I say might sound abrupt or won't massage any egos but sometimes I see work which could be so much better if the engraver had a little more understanding of the fundamentals of scrollwork.

Sometimes someone will put up a picture of something they've done and ask for a critique and before you know it there are more than a dozen replies saying thing like "Looks great," or "Fabulous work," or "You're doing real good there!" But I'm sorry to say that some of these people who offer such 'critique' are often not much more than novices themselves and this sort of thing isn't of help to the person who published his/her work. Please don't get me wrong, praise where praise is due is a wonderful bonus to the person who has bothered to publish their work but please have the decency to acknowledge your own shortcomings or lack of experience before offering criticism. It often leaves the experienced engraver who would like to offer 'constructive criticism' out in the cold because they don't want to be seen as going against the majority. This does a disservice to the person who's published their work for critique as fawning behaviour helps nobody. This is the reason I rarely comment on western bright cut (unless I really like something) as I don't feel I have enough expertise in that particular area; the same applies to jewellery (unless it's engraved).

If you like something by all means say so but explain why, or give your experience level somehow. Just because you've been on the forum a couple of months does not make you an expert to someone who may have only just joined. Likewise, if you don't like something about a piece also say why, but try and do it in a constructive way. As I've said before, even those without actual knowledge of engraving often have an instinctive feeling as to why something doesn't look right.

Rant over. Now for some of the fundamental rules or pointers to constructing scrollwork.....

For those new to scrollwork or intermediates who might need a refresher, try to think of scrolls as stylized foliage. Plants grow in a certain manner e.g. if it's a tree it will grow trunk, branch, twig, leaf. It will never grow branch, leaf, trunk, twig. The tree has its foundation at it's roots and everything that grows from the trunk grows progressively smaller..

A scroll, therefore, has to come from somewhere and this 'foundation' or 'point of origin' will normally either be a 'closed end' starter scroll or an edge. Engraving should never begin with an open ended scroll in space. It just looks plain wrong.

Each subsequent scroll should then grow from it's source (i.e. the previous scroll) in the opposite direction and any further scrolls will grow accordingly in alternating directions. Generally, any scroll that grows from another should (if possible) be smaller.

Scrolls should also grow away from the point of origin. Often I've seen examples where a smaller scroll grows, and fills a space, back towards the point where the larger scroll it grows from begins. Again, this is wrong. Remember our tree and imagine what it would look like if branches or twigs hooked back and grew towards the trunk. You'd think there was something wrong with the tree wouldn't you?

These pointers or 'rules' apply to all styles of scrollwork. Once you know and understand them fully, then they can be bent within certain bounds e.g. there is a way of flinging a larger scroll from a smaller one and have it growing in the same direction and still have the design look right. This is because if the design was unwound and laid flat, the smaller scroll would naturally sit within the larger one as part of it.

If you don't understand the basics though, you'll never stand a chance when it comes to more complicated designs. Things will get lost or you'll have scrolls which should look like they're growing from somewhere underneath another starting in what looks like space.

I appreciate fully those of you who haven't served an apprenticeship, or been given guidance from a 'master', are at a distinct disadvantage and that is why so many of us more advanced engravers recommend Ron Smith's book on advanced drawing of scrolls. You may agree or disagree with Ron's philosophy within the book, but underlying it is a great wealth of knowledge and a sincere wish to pass it on. Ron has done what many of us experience engravers would have liked to have done but haven't had the time or skill to put down in ink. As has been said before, this book is gold to any engraver particularly beginners and novices. It will teach you the construction of scrollwork and development of design so you can tell a good design from a poor one.

Also, within my class at GRS I try to get my students to understand how to design a piece of work. I can't speak for other instructors but I'm sure they do too. It's important for novices to know why we try to get you to do something in a particular way and why we offer advice on the forum. It's up to you whether or not you work with said advice but when you do, and when you are fully acquainted with the fundamental rules, in no time you'll be designing your own stuff in your own style and will have the confidence to know it look right even if it breaks or bends the 'rules'.

Last edited:

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As a novice to this whole adventure, I find your points well taken, and do study Mr. Smith's book regularly- it's all good!
Thanks!

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Right on Marcus. Very well said. When I was just getting going I had a several fellows who were trying to help me. They would critique my work, but were awful gentle about how they did it. About the time I thought I was starting to get pretty good ( I wasn't, I just thought I was) I got a real straight forward cut to the chase critique from someone I really looked up to. It sure sent me back to earth. It hurt my feelings a little, so I really went to work because I wanted that fellow's respect so bad. When I look back now that was one of the best things that ever happened to me.

Stewart

Last edited:

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Marcus, I agree with everything you have said, and I do appriecate your background, your heritage and family tree in the field of engraving. I am sure that you would be a great chap to sit and have a drink with. However, (here it comes), after thirty years of marriage to the same woman, I have discovered that quite often it is better to say things like, that really looks good on you, you are perfect, you are so beautiful. If I have to say more, then I should not. By the way I really liked the pictures of the side plates you posted not long ago.

Good luck

Ed

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well said Marcus.
I might add that when we all design scrolls..due to our shortcomings, personalities and visions.. we all seem to lay out scrolls that fill a given area with different size scrolls. By this i mean some of us favor very very tight scrolls as in english scrollwork althout they may be mmore of a leaf scroll. Some of us perfer a lager bolder scroll. Either way the same principles apply as to the growth and rythem of the scroll. Design and flow is everything.
Marty

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good Stuff Marcus. Here's something similar I did for a FEGA seminar about scrollwork in other art disciplines and how to design them.

Maybe I should change one of the commandments to be
Thou shalt own a copy of Ron Smith's books and consult it as necessary.

When are we going to get you here for the Engrave-In?

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus,

You always tell it like it is and that, combined with your background and skill, is what makes your input here so valuable.

Roger

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus,
Well said on all points! I too agree that sometimes a picture is posted by the engraver for "honest" critique and is met with a lot "atta-boys". They can get that from friends and relatives. I've always asked my fellow engravers to brutally honest and you can't hurt my feelings. That is the only way you can learn. I've always found that I got great advice. The good things were pointed out as well as the bad. It is getting hard for a beginner to know what advice he is getting from an Internet forum anymore because a "regular" poster still may be full blown beginner. I would advise those seeking critique to ask for it and then make sure the advice you are getting is from someone that has the experience to qualify. That doesn't mean the beginners can't chime in, but just make sure you aren't over your head when giving a reply.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
You're right Rex. I must add that conflicting and/or confusing information, here on these forums, is not strictly limited to the inexperienced .... the gurus have added their share as well. It boils down to the fact that everyone is different and that engraving is an artistic expression and a very personal one at that.

There are also less experienced engravers producing better scroll work then 10 or 15 year engravers out there. I haven't quite figured that one out yet but the number of people I might take a lesson from sure is dwindling.

Let's not forget great shading ... you can't have great scroll without great shading.

------

Hi Marcus, the swift kick in the backside or the ruler across the knuckles works.

Catch ya later,

Chris

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
...There are also less experienced engravers producing better scroll work then 10 or 15 year engravers out there. I haven't quite figured that one out yet but the number of people I might take a lesson from sure is dwindling.

I can only assume those you refer to are more artistically inclined. I'm convinced anyone can learn to use the tools and cut quality lines in metal. It's what the engraver DOES with those lines that determines whether it's a masterpiece or a train wreck.

~Sam

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In the "original" rules of netiquette, me-toos, attaboys, and one-liners were frowned upon. Thank-you's were implied for advice given. Al Gore had not yet invented the World Wide Web. Modems were 300bps on dial-up service and you paid by the minute. You received your information via email from mailing lists; or you actually had your modem dial a phone number, often long distance, to access information on a "bulletin board" set up by an individual. Everything was content driven and the above were considered rude and wasteful of the resources of other correspondents.

Today, sites like this one are just technology extensions of the old bulletin boards. However, we have the WWW and broadband connections with unlimited access. These sites have evolved into social networking sites and the old rules are forgotten. In the present environment, cynics who offer the truth are often pounced upon by others because they are perceived to be negative to the "play nice" philosophy of these social networking sites.

In fact, studies have shown that it is the cynics who drive change in dynamic groups.
Listening to cynics will tell you what might be on the minds of other less vocal members.
Having cynics in a group can help bring about different ways of seeing things, which can help reshape old ideas and ignite new ones.
Cynics can play Devil's Advocate, getting others to question traditional procedures and systems which in turn could lead to better and more innovative ways of getting tasks done.
Cynics are talented, independent thinkers who help things grow, instead of being squelched as troublemakers.

Marcus is one of those cynics and we should thank him as well as encourage others who might go against the grain of "group think."

Dave

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I can't see very many situations where someone has been misguided, but when the ego is bigger than that desire to be accurate, you have someone hard to train and that person is his own failure walking. I wouldn't blame it on the instructors however, as it takes two to tango, but I do see the same thing you see.

Probably on a one to one basis, one can be more straightforward and abrupt, but not knowing the individual, the instructors are careful not to bruse fragile egos who need rewards for little efforts. The one thing I see is, it is not about me. It is about educating as many as you can to benifit us all, for they then will understand the sacrifice of the determined individual who had to blaze trails for them to follow. I see the very good point that accurate information should always be given, and if the student can't handle it, it is his problem, and he shouldn't be wasting another man's time. He is likely not master engraver material, but he is now aware of what it takes. Even more important is, once the public has some understanding, they will give the master the respect and monetary equivelency he has earned.

If a student wants to be really good, he will put his ego aside and nothing will stop him, instructor or not, and he will do it with either a good instructor or a bad one. It is really a student problem more than it is an instructor problem. After all, what do we have to gain by giving ourselves and time to help, other than the satisfaction of being useful to someone other than yourself. We often give time which is our livelyhood, as all we really get on this planet is time and life. You can't get that back. So, I see nothing wrong with being kind to your students however, but in these times we live in, honesty is sorley laking, and that is the ultimately most important thing both in life and in this art. So I would say be grateful for those who are honest with you, and I know you are, as you have iterated that desire and you are correct.

Chris,

Your point about 15 year veterans laking skill just reflects or reveals their depth of passion for the art. There are many reasons why one gets involved with engraving, and I have noticed over the years that some never intend to go past a certain point, and I would chalk that up to four things. Laziness, pride, time, or they are making money at it, and that is all they want out of it. They usually stay in their own environment and don't mingle with those who can tell the difference and expose them for their indfference.

But honesty is very important, and I want to apologize if I am one of those you are talking about. I don't know exactly how others percieve me. If I have ever mislead you however, I will apologize for that. One thing I will never do however, is apologize for the truth. It needs no apology. It is of it's own accord so I want to thank you for your honesty, and you too Marcus. You are right on the mark.

This brings something to mind about when I used to have people coming to me for help. I would point out their problems and then send them home with the solution, but would tell them if they didn't have the grit to stick with the struggle and keep digging deeper, they might ought to take up dancing or something. It takes a fierce passion to become a master at this trade. I could usually spot them quickly, who had it and who did not, for it looks easy to watch a skilled craftsman at work. They inter it with illusions of grandeur, a gross lack of patience, and an I want something for nothing attitude. That is why I have said that your charactor is your most important asset. You have to be a bulldog.

But the truth is, you can sure waste a lot of time with the tire kickers and deprive the serious ones of your time. It is a pleasure to train a passionate student however, and a joy to any instructor.

I guess it is just a condition that exists as long as human nature exists, but it is that deeper spiritual nature and search for accuracy and ultimate quality that drives many of us. That is a noble attitude, but it will be a solitary, private thiing, just between you and yourself, and really has nothing to do with anyone else. Personally however, I will always be a student, reaching higher, going farther, gathering in that limitless knowledge that makes me better in all ways, as engraving is what I do. It is not what I am. It is just a reflection of what I am, and although my work subtly reveals that, only the one's who have been there really understand the long road it took to get there, wherever that is, and that is why Jesus said you cannot be greater than your teacher. He had to step out and lay a path and make that powerful sacrifice that would be powerful enough it would inspire men to follow. So be it.

Forward!

Ron S

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would like to drop back and add to some earlier posts in this thread. The most useful critiques are those that have three elements
-the good
-the bad (also included is the ugly)
-specificity

The good-I suspect too often when one hears the word critique it is equated with critic or criticize. I think of critique in terms of evaluation. As we learn engraving we do some things intuitively correct or acceptable but may not realize it or know why. It is as important to make people aware of those things that work in the design as it is the things that need changing. This will give them confidence and knowledge to repeat the good.

The bad- This one we seem to be good at. Telling others what we think is wrong ...........and they need to hear it in order to improve. Some things are subjective and personal taste and if we want to be really polite we can word it as "another option you might consider would be...)

Specificity- Telling someone we love it makes that person feel good but as has already been mentioned by others it does little to help that person become a better engraver. There is no requirement to comment on the whole piece.It may be best to comment on one small part in more detail.

Onward to better evaluations (critiques):)

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus,

Thanks for broaching the subject. I agree totally & I admit, more times than not I say "wow", "awesome" or "that's nice"....etc,etc. So I am somewhat guilty of contributing to the problem however, when I do comment I mean what I say. I for one have a limited time to spend here so except on rare occasion, I usually keep it brief (this is an exception).
I also agree somewhat with the comment that Chris made about advice from "guru's". Guru or not, most of us are willing to share what we know or we wouldn't be hanging out here. That being said, when we get tips or advice on a subject we should filter it, take what we need & leave the rest. I for one have picked up a couple of good tips and I appreciate those who take the time to share.
Much of this is very subjective though if you build on a good foundation (as Marcus is suggesting) you will have an understanding to work from and grow your skill and talent into the best that you can be!
Go for it!!!

WL

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus.
I agree with you 100%. When I post something for critique, I want true critique from the ones who are qualified. Well meaning compliments from grandma and friends will be of little value in helping a person to improve his skills. Some of the most helpful people on this forum are the most honest in evaluating a piece of work. Marty, Yourself , Ron smith, Roger , and Rex are some of the ones who's opinion I value the most because of that honesty. Thanks for putting it like it is. I for one don't need a friend I need a teacher. Your real friends will tell you the truth.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was about to object to your use of the word cynic; but before I did that I thought I'd look it up.
"practicing extreme bluntness of speech" is part of the entry in the "Pocket Oxford Dictionary".
Kevin P.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus I have been on this board for a while now and have posted some of my work. I am a true beginner and I am still struggeling with just about every aspect of engraving. Everything from which graver for what cut and how to sharpen that graver, design, transfer metheods, etc. Trying to drink in all the information and apply it can be over whelming. Thats when I just sit down and cut. Most of the time it helps me understand some of the things that those that are sharing their knowledge on this are trying to give us beginners. Most of us will never be able to have formal training, a class or two will be as close as we can get. This board and Sam's tips have been of great help to me and I want to thank everyone that participates. With that said when I post my work here it is because I want to share my progress. I have a long way to go before I can have bragging rights. I want true and straight forward comments from those that are qualified to give it and that is the one thing I know I can count on you for, honesty.

You along with a few others on this board have a real desire to teach or instruct in what is proper or correct, thank you for these efforts.

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Im with Bama I want my work crtiqued thats why i post it here..With that said i appercaite the atta boys also and understand that thats all some of us have to offer and most of the time thats all i have to offer is cheerleading services.But at the same time if someone thinks my stuff sucks...say so and tell me why.if i dident want to learn i wouldent be here.
Steve

Latest posts

Sponsors