Beginner Setup Questions

ShaneMac

Greetings,

I've recently bought a graver, chasing hammer, and handle to pursue engraving, and I have a few questions:

1. What distance should I have between myself, and the work I'm performing? I've seen people stand straight up, in a chair, etc. I'm guessing it depends on what kind of magnification you're using? If the work does need to be raised, what should it be raised with? I would be using an Optivisor.

2. I created an abomination of a bowling ball vise. I don't have any pictures, but it consists of a very cheap drill press vise, bolted onto a sawed in-half bowling ball, on top of a small tire. I'm almost certain the thing will be more trouble than it's worth, should I try and make it work or should I just go with a normal bench vise?

3. I'll be moving to a 1 room living scenario, so I will be unable to have a proper workbench. I've seen videos where people emphasize the importance of the lack of vibration, lack of motion, etc, however I lack the options of bolting anything to the floor, wall, etc. What would you guys recommend me to have for a work surface in non-workshop type room?

Thank you

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hello Shane.
If you would put your general location in your bio then maybe a close bye engraver would invite you to see their set up and help you out a bit.
One setup that might work is a stack of concrete blocks, covered to the floor by a plain table cloth.
Or you can use a tool rollaway covered with a cloth when not in use, Will also hold all your graver tools.
And the magnetic "Golf stick style" nail pick up magnet will pick up the steel chips from the floor.
For other metals use and vacuum cleaner.

monk

Staff member
welcome to the forum. whether you sit, stand, or hang from a chandelier, you must work comfortably. neck, back, and shoulder pain will certainly be an issue if you work in any sort of
awkward fashion. the distance you seek can only be answered by you.
the bowling ball vise isn't ideal, but it will work. i would suggest mounting on a tripod made of pipe or angleiron. use rubber feet to protect the floor. another option would be a b&d workmate or similar foldable, portable work surface. i would pursue using the bowlingball vise just for pushgraving. a vise without the half ball would be better for h&c work. i wish you the best of luck in your pursuit.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Shane-
For your situation I would strongly recommend starting out with just a couple hand burins -"push gravers"- and not worry about H&C for awhile. Get a good small ball vise, a basic sharpening set up, some copper plates, and have fun getting the hang of cutting short, relatively shallow, straight & curved lines. With a little practice you'll be surprised what you can do. Soon you'll advance to small scrolls, etc. And a very basic hand graver is perhaps all you'll ever need to engrave pictures, portraits, etc.

good luck!
mitch

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
The advise Mitch gave is the same way I started................good stuff!! One note to consider......keep your turning hand and fingers BELOW the trajectory of the graver. This reduces deep stabbs to that hand.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
To answer your original question, these pictures of European school trained engravers will give you a good idea of how to hold your chisel and how close your eyes are to the work piece.

Attachments

• Doreen Grill-Merkel 2011.jpg
    Doreen Grill-Merkel 2011.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Félix Funken 1888-1965.jpg
    Félix Funken 1888-1965.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Jean Francois Dubois 1.jpg
    Jean Francois Dubois 1.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Louis Leforestier-3.jpg
    Louis Leforestier-3.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 27

ShaneMac

To answer your original question, these pictures of European school trained engravers will give you a good idea of how to hold your chisel and how close your eyes are to the work piece.
Thank you for the pictures, It seems like I won't need to invest into an expensive ball vise for hammer and chisel, the real question is how I'm going to get the vise that high. I was thinking of laminating a few pieces of wood, but through bolting the vise wouldn't be possible at that point, unless I through bolt it onto one lamination, countersink the bottom, and laminate the rest.

monk

Staff member
if you're going to start with push graving, i'd suggest doing the practice in a seated position. if you check on my former statement, a workmate or similar would be just about correct to situate your vise unless you wan to start tossing dollars out the window, learn to be a bit creative. somewhere in the forum archive is a thread about workbenches. there's a ton of ideas to be found there. very little of what engravers do is rocket science, just a bit of "fit and try" till it works.

Dutchmills

Thank you for the pictures, It seems like I won't need to invest into an expensive ball vise for hammer and chisel, the real question is how I'm going to get the vise that high. I was thinking of laminating a few pieces of wood, but through bolting the vise wouldn't be possible at that point, unless I through bolt it onto one lamination, countersink the bottom, and laminate the rest.
Hellow Shane. Wood lag bolts will hold your vice to a stack of laminated boards My vice height is dictated by the focal length of my optivisor while standing comfortably. Good luck and have fun. Dave

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with Mitch and would start with push gravers. I started with a half bowling ball too and I glued a dryer electric power cord to the top rim. I sat it in a plastic dog water bowl and hot glued the work piece right onto the ball. The electric cord provided a grip for me to turn the ball with my left Hand while holding the graver with the right. The plastic bowl provided less resistance than the tire for smooth rotation. The ball would tilt when I rotated it but I guess I could have glued another smaller wire where the ball met the bowl to eliminate the tilt when I rotated it. I bought a wood push handle from ebay for a couple of bucks . My biggest initial investment was a single Lindsay pre-sharpened carbalt graver for $39.00. It will stay sharp a long time push engraving copper.

AO84

Greetings,

I've recently bought a graver, chasing hammer, and handle to pursue engraving, and I have a few questions:

1. What distance should I have between myself, and the work I'm performing? I've seen people stand straight up, in a chair, etc. I'm guessing it depends on what kind of magnification you're using? If the work does need to be raised, what should it be raised with? I would be using an Optivisor.

2. I created an abomination of a bowling ball vise. I don't have any pictures, but it consists of a very cheap drill press vise, bolted onto a sawed in-half bowling ball, on top of a small tire. I'm almost certain the thing will be more trouble than it's worth, should I try and make it work or should I just go with a normal bench vise?

3. I'll be moving to a 1 room living scenario, so I will be unable to have a proper workbench. I've seen videos where people emphasize the importance of the lack of vibration, lack of motion, etc, however I lack the options of bolting anything to the floor, wall, etc. What would you guys recommend me to have for a work surface in non-workshop type room?

Thank you
Optivisors sort of dictate the distance at which you can work. So the distance variable is kind of going to be predetermined for you depending on the # optivizor you are using. I don't remember the number I use offhand, I think #7, so that makes it so the work piece has to be approx. 6 in away or closer. One suggestion is to start with that determination, and then adjust the seating or table (or in my case drill press stand) accordingly.

ShaneMac

Optivisors sort of dictate the distance at which you can work. So the distance variable is kind of going to be predetermined for you depending on the # optivizor you are using. I don't remember the number I use offhand, I think #7, so that makes it so the work piece has to be approx. 6 in away or closer. One suggestion is to start with that determination, and then adjust the seating or table (or in my case drill press stand) accordingly.
Late reply, but I got a #7 Opti visor, and objects start focusing for me within 3 inches, which would mean the work would be way too high for me. Is there a general height the work should be? If so, I could get stronger magnification.

AO84

I think there's no specific height...just matter of preference, but you obviously don't want to be in an awkward posture...I end up being fairly close to the work as well, but not 3 inches. That seems too close

ShaneMac

I think there's no specific height...just matter of preference, but you obviously don't want to be in an awkward posture...I end up being fairly close to the work as well, but not 3 inches. That seems too close
Yeah, my arms are scrunched up when its 3 inches away. I see a lot of reference photos with engravers having the height of their work around their sternum/upper chest.

AO84

Thats around where I have it as well...but I think my optivisor ends up focusing around 6 inches

Sponsors