Beginner's tool list

ncheadle1

Another knifemaker here. I'm fairly new myself, but experienced enough to say that the micro vise will be too small for what you're wanting to do. If you have a microscope or will be getting one eventually, I'd go with the low profile vise. Otherwise, the standard or magna will be fine. It's mass you need, and mass you're paying for.
Thanks for the reply! Fair enough, I think I got a decent microscope, I kinda knew what tools to spend on which is why I went with the GRS ball. I suppose Ill return it and get the bigger one though. Thanks again!

Travis Fry

Thanks for the reply! Fair enough, I think I got a decent microscope, I kinda knew what tools to spend on which is why I went with the GRS ball. I suppose Ill return it and get the bigger one though. Thanks again!
If you're ever interested in jewelry or even engraving little stuff, you might hang on to that little ball. It's a good piece of equipment, just limited in what it can handle. If you can afford to keep it and also get the bigger one, I think that would be a good move. If you're a knifemaker you know that there's always some other tool you'll wish you had, or some tool you have you'll find an unexpected use for.

Zero1983

Big help, thanks alot!
Could you maybe add a "basic tool making post" as well? I bought HSS square blanks, 45° face on the belt sander, quick touch heel on the belt sander, with a following 1000 grid sandpaper treatment.
The lines are ok but look very stippled.....stop and go. And I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Do I need a cleaner heel? Is the heel angle too steep?
My heels need to be farily long, otherwise the chisels just dig in :-/

Sponsors