Best Handycam macro setup that won't break the bank

Lunsford79

Hi there, looking to setup a camera to a monitor or computer on a Leica A60. I know I can purchase a Sony Handycam for about 200$ and a nice mount for the A60 for about 240$ with a few macro lenses. Is this the best set up? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Typically I shoot final work on a Sony Alpha 6000, anyone know if I can stream through a camera such as that?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
For GRS demonstrations at trade shows we use Sony handicams which are very inexpensive, and attach macro lenses to them. The lenses don't screw in so they glue an adapter ring to the front of the camera which the lenses mount to. The lenses are common macro lenses which come in a set. Resolution isn't going to be as good as photographic macro lens but it's simple does a reasonable job.

The cameras are mounted on the side or back and angled to the top of the vise using the GRS camera adapter kit.

It's an effective setup but my preference is a trinocular microscope, which unfortunately is costly.

Lunsford79

For GRS demonstrations at trade shows we use Sony handicams which are very inexpensive, and attach macro lenses to them. The lenses don't screw in so they glue an adapter ring to the front of the camera which the lenses mount to. The lenses are common macro lenses which come in a set. Resolution isn't going to be as good as photographic macro lens but it's simple does a reasonable job.

The cameras are mounted on the side or back and angled to the top of the vise using the GRS camera adapter kit.

It's an effective setup but my preference is a trinocular microscope, which unfortunately is costly.
Cool, thanks for taking the time to get back with the info Sam. Always a fan of your work and teaching

hugo@hugokohl.com

Hello Sam,

Can you elaborate on this:
"The lenses don't screw in so they glue an adapter ring to the front of the camera which the lenses mount to. The lenses are common macro lenses which come in a set."

Is this what you mean?

Vivitar 55mm Close-Up Macro Lens Set, Includes +1, +2, +4 and +10 Lenses
SKU: VVCL55 MFR: VIV-CL-55
https://www.adorama.com/vvcl55.html...YAyABEgIhzvD_BwE&utm_source=adl-gbase#reviews
$10.50

If not, please suggest a link or model number of this lens kit and show an image of how it is "glued" to the handycam body.

Thanks,
Hugo Kohl

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hello Sam,

Can you elaborate on this:
"The lenses don't screw in so they glue an adapter ring to the front of the camera which the lenses mount to. The lenses are common macro lenses which come in a set."

Is this what you mean?

Vivitar 55mm Close-Up Macro Lens Set, Includes +1, +2, +4 and +10 Lenses
SKU: VVCL55 MFR: VIV-CL-55
$10.50

If not, please suggest a link or model number of this lens kit and show an image of how it is "glued" to the handycam body.

Thanks,
Hugo Kohl

Yes they use something similar. These should work fine. They're probably all made in the same factory.

In order to attach them to a camera that doesn't have a threaded lens, they glued a threaded adapter ring to the camera and screw the closeup lenses into it. Sounds like a poor way of doing it, but it actually works perfectly. Or you can find a camera that has a threaded lens barrel and screw the lenses into it. If they don't fit, then you use an adapter that converts from the lens threads to the camera's treads. Plenty on eBay and elsewhere. Cameras without threaded lenses are usually a lot cheaper for some reason.

Latest posts

Sponsors