Bolino Portrait technique questios

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am trying to hone my skills at portrait engraving. One of the best at this outside of the currency engravers is Phil Coggan. Im sure Sam and Lee Griffith are also some of the best.
I have heard Phil coggan state that he does not sand back at all. I can't say that about the others. I don't understand how this is possible but do not doubt his word and have read other European engravers say the same. I am using several geometries recomended by them and they all leave a burr to some extent. Anybody have any answers? Even a light sanding with 1000 grit helps a lot but none doesn't seem possible.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
jerrywh,I emailed an English engraver Allen Portsmouth on his engraved portraits on a double gun all done in dots and he uses a burring tool to take care of an burr's.You can use a burring tool or agate. J.J.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

jerrywh,You can buy a burrising tool from any jewelry supply,it just a high polished round steel rod with a handle,you could make one out of drill rod. J.J.

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jere
What i have bern doing is taking a thickish piece of hardened brass and filing a sharp bevel edge on one side i the lay the brass flat on the engraving and slice off the burrs with the sharpened edge works pretty fast and easy Basically making a scraper out of it But then again what do i know?

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I would tell you how long Pap but they would throttle me....(me thinks you were in jest)

As for cleaning off burrs, I use stick and pick (dots) and find scraping across the area with a fingernail works just fine. I normally do that type of engraving on items that are going to be case hardened, as does Phil I think. Thus the detail is fairly well preserved.

Latest posts

Sponsors