Question: Brown patina on steel

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
J.T. laurel mountain forge makes a barrel brown solution that works very well. In Durango you probably need some sort of damp box to raise the humidity to make it work. Birchwood Casey makes plum brown you heat part then apply it is a instant brown but can be tough to get an even finish. Both are sold by Brownells and Track of the Wolf and many other muzzleloading supply places.
Leland

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
J T I use caseys plum brown What are you trying to age? BTW you are no longer in Durango remember? You moved
How are you doing back east where its damp and humid

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
JTC,Try Pilkington's slow rust bluing solution,solded at Brownell's easy to use. J.J.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
I have used Mark Lee express Brown #2. Easy to use. www.brownells.com stock # 575-100-004, 4 oz bottle for $11.99. Doesn't require a damp Box. Heat item to right temp swab on the solution and then card. Repeat till you reach the color you are looking for.
Sandy

JTC

Hi Marty, Thanks for reminding me that I need to update my profile. I'm working on a Tsuba. A guard for a Japanese sword. It is a 200 year old sword and the owner wants to make it a little more of a presentation piece.
The blade is in excellent condition but the hand grip (which is inlaid with silver) is only in good condition. He wants to embellish the tsuba (guard) with silver inlay. He asked that I do the inlay but not to damage the brown patina. I told him that seemed like an impossible task and that I was not interested in the project. After a long discussion he agreed to let me properly smooth the silver if the patina could be replaced. So that's why I'm looking for a method. Hilton Head SC is hot and humid this time of year so I'm spending most of my time at the bench not the beach! Hope all is well with you.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
J.T. in that humidity Laurel mountain forge will work very well it will be easy to match the patina. I have not tried the Mark Lee express brown but I use the Mark Lee express blue and it works great. If Sandy uses it you can be sure it works he has never steered me wrong.
Leland

Latest posts

Sponsors