Buckle tip

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The shading is coming along nice. The shape of the tip looks not so nice. I wish you could come up and learn how to make and use some 2 piece tip dies. It's amazing how far you have improved. I am looking forward to seeing your goods next year at this time. I think you are on your way to making some nice stuff. Now throw away that soft solder and use hard solder so that you can blue the metal with heat. Quit being lazy.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think I agree with you on both points.

No, it's not up to PC standards (but what a goal to shoot for!), but it is pretty darn nice! :thumbsup:
Just hope the little toy I'm working on comes out somewhere near this well.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hi!
This work looks quite nice! I usually do not give any advice because I'm not actually a hand engraver but I think I can give you a good one this time.

The secret of the shading is not cutting a lot of lines but where and how you cut they. This is a technical issue.
I think you have the shading lines in the right places although they seems to me there are more than needed but....
the main mistake that I can see is that you are cutting this lines at almost the same depth all along the way. You should try to cut the lines getting deeper along the path in a way to get all lines together at the end to achieve the darker spots there. You can see in your picture that you have almost the same gray tones all around so, cutting the shading lines from thin to thick you will get a nicer 3D effect because you will have those darker areas.

I hope you do not mind my critique because you have not asked for one! :)
Perhaps one of own gurus can chime in and explain what I'm trying to say in better English...

All the best,
Leonardo.

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
you did a fine job.
thanks for your time.....i will keep this in mind for my next project.
i am always open to anyones ideas.....that is how i have gotten this far.
thanks
shawn:tiphat: