Question: Bulino Drawing

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tom,

This falls in what was mentioned in other thread, the softness of the metal will affect how easily it is, rubbed, scratched off. Can you practice on it, I would suppose so, never tried it, but durability would not be there. I would have added this to the last post you made, Just keeps the info in one place and would help the next guy coming around.

sinan

These are my practices on aluminium.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 270
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 270
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 270

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
love the sporting dogs I have a GWP. the bulino looks great imho. I personally don't like the way Alum. cuts sticky & soft i dont even use it for practice. those dogs would good on a Zippo if ya can find anyone that dares smoke anymore.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Here is more work in aluminum. Keeps weight down for guitar inlays, especially around the sound hole. A good copper based anti-seize lube helps cutting and especially burnishing. These are .032" thick.

PS...sculpted and then "bulino" detailed.

Attachments

• baritone uke inlays overlays and rosette e.jpg
    baritone uke inlays overlays and rosette e.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 250

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Carlos It depends on the series.....1100 series is soft and tough to work with......6061 t6 is a pleasure to work with very hard material It's like a Rockwell hardness of around 60.....Engraves very well .... Try it...

Bob

SamW

Of course I remember...what was the question?

It was left over from a sheet that a friend had bought for a hot rod project. I suspect 6016 but do not know for sure. There is a business in Grand Junction that sells metal and offers fabrication. When I visit GJ I often stop by and ask to look in their scrap ben Usually find a number of pieces to buy at a cheap price for what ever use I can find for it.

SamW

Metalcutter (my assumption), the engraving is a tribute to my 12 years on Kodiak Island (ADQ).

Here is another example of working in aluminum not normally seen. This is being done in .040" aluminum to allow for more depth of sculpture and for the gold inlay. The inlay is done just as steel work but the undercuts are easily done with a scribe, the gold dead soft and mostly pressed into the cavities. Very little hammering is done so as to not stretch the aluminum plate causing warping. This is the start of a rosette for a classical guitar the theme of which will be budding life. The "bulino" work will be mostly shading on the few deer that will be on the inlays.

Attachments

• CL rosette new.jpg
    CL rosette new.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 74

Tomawe

Metalcutter (my assumption), the engraving is a tribute to my 12 years on Kodiak Island (ADQ).

Here is another example of working in aluminum not normally seen. This is being done in .040" aluminum to allow for more depth of sculpture and for the gold inlay. The inlay is done just as steel work but the undercuts are easily done with a scribe, the gold dead soft and mostly pressed into the cavities. Very little hammering is done so as to not stretch the aluminum plate causing warping. This is the start of a rosette for a classical guitar the theme of which will be budding life. The "bulino" work will be mostly shading on the few deer that will be on the inlays.

WOW! That is so beautful art !

Latest posts

Sponsors