bulino practice

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I decided to give my hand a try at some bulino engraving. I scanned a picture from the Art of Engraving of a big horn sheep. I cropped the image and sized it in photoshop. Printed on the laser printer and transfered with acetone to my steel practice plate. As you can see from the picture the transfer is still on the metal, as I've only started and am no where near finished.

This is really addictive. I'm really enjoying this style.

Any comments or suggestions welcomed. I will post progessive shots as it progresses. The picture quality is not the greatest from my mobile phone. I will try to get some better shots with a real camera as the work goes on.

Attachments

• bulino ram1.jpg
    bulino ram1.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 190

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You might try the Damar varnish and backing sheet method of transfer to get a more detailed image.Just print the image on your regular paper the tape a piece of parchment over the image and run it through again. then transfer it to your plate. Seems like I get a crisper image this way over acetone printing.
Hope you post a pic when it's finished.:tiphat:

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm getting close to saying this is done>

Please be brutally honest

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Bert: I'm not seeing the varying levels and transitions of grey that this should have. I'm also wondering if maybe you did this with a stippling point in the handpiece as opposed to individual lines or dots. Can you describe your procedure?

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I used the Italian bullion point you describe on the graver sharpening video It wasn't till very late that I really understood the size of dot that was needed and how to make it. The bulk of the marks are simply way too large. I'm going to redo the piece as I think I have a better understanding now of the technique.

Latest posts

Sponsors