Colt 1905 with some inlayed ivory

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Just got this back from Turnbulls. Kind of a different project, I don't typically do handguns nor mess with doing grip or stockwork. In any case, the customer wanted rubies and shell inlay and a knife to make a set, so this is what I came up with.

A close up of some shading.......perhaps overshading?

Grips are ivory, with abalone inlay and bezel set rubies

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
Okay, I don't use the word pretty very often but, that sure is a pretty set. That's the kind of work I'll be looking at several times and finding more every time. Very nice, thank you for posting.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
A lot of great design work in this piece Brian. I really like the art nouveau touches in the gold borders and the scrollwork is just fantastic. Truly masterful work in every respect. :clapping::beerchug:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i love the art nouveau flourishes! Brian, this is an excellent illustration of what you meant in the "overshading" discussion. more and finer lines in shading isn't (necessarily) a right or wrong, better or worse, thing, just a different style and look.

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful,artistic work Brian.
Every time I see your work posted, it makes me appreciate that Lindsay Classic with the engraved thimble you did, that I bought from you some years ago. I consider it the best piece of art that I own. The fact that it is a great piece of kit, is frosting on the cake to a tool junky like me.Thanks again.
Cheers
Don

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Hi guys, Thanks for the positive feedback.

Doc. The black is just block printing ink. It is what I use to ink up engraving on white metal. Seemed to work ok.

Brian M. It could be named H bomb. I engrave metal, I do not do any of this other stuff like work with ivory or inlay shell .... and how am I supposed to get rubies into ivory? It could have been a disaster and there were some tense moments.

Deane. If it had a metal sheath, I have a fixture that could hold it. I did a throat and tip sheath a couple years ago for a Rapp knife, your fixture worked slick.

Don, I figured you would have worn the engraving off that airgraver by now. :)

Thanks again all for the kind words.

Brian

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great work and a great opportunity to study and learn from
Did you draw your pattern and transfer it to the gun or did you draw the pattern as you went along?
Thanks for sharing the pictures and allowing others to study your work.
Shawn Didyoung :tiphat:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Brian, I believe this is your best design work to date. At least to me it is. As for your overshading comment, absolutely not. It's obvious that you have carefully thought out the placement of each and every line. This is smart shading at it's best. Super work, man! :thumbsup: