Help, please: Colt SAA, Help identifying Engraver.

w4wx

Hello: New here... Nice site. I know I will like it.

I picked up this Engraved 3rd Generation Colt Single Action Army a few days ago. I sure would like to find out who did the engraving. I showed it to Mr. Mitch Moschetti and he could not identify the work. He recommended this site. I hope one of you can identify it.

Looks like the initials MRM on the right side on the ejector housing.

Attachments

• Eng SAA 3.jpg
    Eng SAA 3.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 214
  • SAA3.jpg
    SAA3.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 219
  • SAA1.jpg
    SAA1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 200
  • SAA2.jpg
    SAA2.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 190
  • SAA4.jpg
    SAA4.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 171
  • SAA5.jpg
    SAA5.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 168

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey, Bill- you finally succeeded in getting that posted- congratulations! i hope somebody recognizes the engraving and the hassle was not in vain.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am the person who usually answers the "who done it" questions on the engraving forums due to my extensive study and familiarity with the work of American engravers.

Unfortunatly, I have no idea of who engraved the gun in question. Over time there have been hundreds of people who have tried their hand at engraving guns as a hobby or on a part time basis but leave no record of their work so they remain pretty much unknown to the engraving community and collectors. Your gun appears to fall within this catagory.

The initials MRM are probably that of the engraver. While there are several FEGA members whose intials are MM, I know none of them with a middle initial or R.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more assistance. Maybe someone else here will recognize the work.

RB

Last edited:

tolesh

Roger I noticed in the next post that Mitch uses the MRM engraving logo.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Since the owner asked Mitch who engraved the gun and he said he did not know, I naturally ruled him out. Maybe Mitch is having us on and it is one of his very early works:confused:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"Maybe Mitch is having us on and it is one of his very early works"

heh, heh, heh. you know what they say about paybacks...............

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch,

Could you please tell us what I have done to you in the past that you feel you owe me some kind of "pay back"?

I do my best on this and the other forum to answer these "who done it" questions as do other engravers. If this is unappreciated or you consider it bad form to the point that you and w4wx (whoever he really is) wish to play silly games with it just let me know and I for one can find better ways to spend my time.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Gentleman who ever did the engraving on the Colt SAA is not going to admit to it.:eek:The initals on the ejector housing could be the owner. J.J.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
"Mitch,

Could you please tell us what I have done to you in the past that you feel you owe me some kind of "pay back"?

I do my best on this and the other forum to answer these "who done it" questions as do other engravers. If this is unappreciated or you consider it bad form to the point that you and w4wx (whoever he really is) wish to play silly games with it just let me know and I for one can find better ways to spend my time.
C. Roger Bleile"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Roger, it's pretty clear that Mitch was simply pulling your leg as you did to him. He may have simply forgot to put a smiley face at the end of his "Payback" comment as you did.
I think everyone appreciates your input and expertise as I certainly do.

Gosh, the whole world needs to lighten up and smile a little more. ;~)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Seems odd to me that either the owner's or engraver's initials would be that spread out like that, but if someone told me it was definitely one of them I'd say it was the owner's. Perhaps there's a connection with the Christian fish symbols and letters. The work is pretty coarse but no worse than my early engraving efforts. I've seen quite a bit of cut-and-cover engraving from Mexico, and perhaps that's where this was done.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yes, Roger, Crazy Horse has correctly surmised my position. we'll have our fun some day when the mystery gun bears the initials "R.B." :biggrin:

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Sam.
The carved grips sure have that "Mexico" look to them... Although how does one get a 3rd Generation Colt into and back out of Mexico ? The Feds on both sides of the border would have big unhappy faces. :(

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
"Although how does one get a 3rd Generation Colt into and back out of Mexico ?"

That question should be directed to the executive staff of the BATF. Those guys are "Fast& Furious" when it come to getting guns over the border.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You guys must not be up to date on the workings BATF! There was a news article on the gun forums where they have allowed mass amounts of guns to be purchased along the border areas and moved into mexico so they could track them by serial numbrs coming backinto ther US.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, and only one U.S. Officer was killed with one of those weapons.......so far! Over 2000 guns were permitted to cross the border. And guess who paid for them? Yep, we did. Taxpayer money was used to purchase them.

And here's the kicker....All of the high ranking people at the BATF responsible for this reprehensible act have since been promoted.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
John,It was 2,500 guns that when over the border & it's was two U.S. Border officers that got killed plus the Mexicans.I get the NRA mag 1st Freedom.Eric Holder plan to make American gun owners look bad back fired :clapping: J.J.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I don't want this thread turning into a BATF bashing. Take it to another forum. :no:

So who engraved this SAA?

Latest posts

Sponsors