Help, please: Commerce Dept. trying to ban knives

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Folks,

I really hate bringing up anything political in a forum like this but at BLADE I heard about a situation that will affect all of us here in the U.S.A.

It seems some responsibilities were shifted around in the Commerce Dept. and the folks with the new authority just had to find something to do with it. What they decided on was trying to find a way to ban assisted opening knives (the ones where you open them partway and then a spring does the rest). They're trying this by changing the legal definition of a switchblade knife. That was set in the 1958 Federal Switchblade Act.

They way they've written their new definition it can be applied to pretty much all folding knives. And because they're changing the legal definition of a switchblade this won't just affect imports - it will make any knife meeting the new legal definition subject to the same laws as actual switchblades.

http://www.kniferights.org has all of the info and model letters to send to your Federal elected officials. They're trying to have this done by the end of this month so time is of the essence. Please check it out and also please spread the word to anyone else you know who might ever want to own a knife.

tonytigerhk45

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the heads up about this b.s. law and the link. Soon we will have to use rocks like the cavemen
did.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As a lawyer friend of mine is fond of saying "It doesn't have to make sense - it's the law."

Hopefully we can get this particular bit of stupidity nipped in the bud.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just noticed this topic on BladeForums also. There IS a definite cause to be alarmed from what I can tell.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Unfortunately you can't put lawyers in jail for being stupid and making stupid laws for us all to suffer under.

Somebody said "you make laws too grievous to bear" and I don't think he liked lawyers too much either. Of course that is one of the problems with acedemia. It gets a little arrogant sometimes doesn't it, and thinks it is smarter than us peons.

I would say he doesn't have a lick of sense, and that is what is running our country.

Rant over Steve, but you hit a nerve....................If it weren't for lawyers, we might get our freedoms back. Our judicial system particularly, is supposed to honor, support and uphold the constitution, the supreme law of the land. Would that make them supreme criminals?...........Just asking.

Ron S

Last edited:

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The American Knife and Tool Institute has a link and is asking for people to write/call congress. You can read more on their site www.akti.org.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Thank-you Ron for saying what many of us are thinking.

I'm sure a few folks might be wondering where one of my "colorful" contributions to the subject are - spawned by the rage and passion .... only to result in the lock down of another informative thread ...

I've decided to further diversify my engraving business by engraving beach balls. I think it's good to stay ahead of the possible passage of draconian legislation. But then again ... someday when beach balls are outlawed, only outlaws will have beach balls. ;)

There's actually a message there ... .............. . . ..

Les Riddell

this might be a bit of a cliche but laws are only there to keep the honest person honest. this new law can only hurt the nice guy and make criminals out of us all. Well you all as i live in new zealand.

Scratchmo

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
this might be a bit of a cliche but laws are only there to keep the honest person honest. this new law can only hurt the nice guy and make criminals out of us all. Well you all as i live in new zealand.

I think I'm moving to New Zealand!! Can you still smoke in a bar there?

Andrew Biggs

Hi Scratchmo

No..........you can't smoke in bars here, or public buildings, restaurants etc. etc. etc. Which I do have to admit is not a bad thing.

Don't worry, we have plenty of silly laws here as well. :)

Cheers
Andrew

jr hoot gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Commerce, This would be the agency in charge of commerce in the USofA? So far they have done a hell of a job, there is little commerce left. The reorganization will be Dept of Commerce, Knives, Alcohol, Tobbacco, and High Explosives.
Hoot

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'd post my thoughts, but i know our moderator would not let them thru to the forum.i will say, i can remember when i had respect for our government.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, you have brought it up. Steve, at this point it's hearsay. You seem to have taken a rumor and propagated it.
It is very much to the point not to engage in politics on this forum.
Kevin P.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
First, this thread was not intended to be a "political" discussion.

Second, any kind of government rulings that may directly affect those in the business of knives or firearms, as it pertains to his/her livelihood (not hobbiests), should be made known and openly discussed.

Finally ...

An official 63 page proposal, written and submitted by both the Bureau of Customs and DHS is far from "hearsay" and "rumor" ....

... but just don't just take Steve's word for it .... or that of Kniferights.org either ...

Be sure to scroll to page 5 of this official document on the Customs and Border Protection web site. Note that it is buried in with other "general notices" on the bulletin section of the site.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov...l43_05222009_no21/43genno21.ctt/43genno21.pdf

------

Maybe Andrew should put his little hat on and lock this thread down ... all of the information, including proof is here.

I'm not sure what infuriates me more - knowing that directions I decide to take my engraving business may ultimately be decided by bureaucrats or the inability to learn how other full time engravers are reacting (and coping) because this information has been deemed "political" by the political correctness police.

Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
• The Cafe's membership will consist of many ethnic, religious, and political persuasions. Don't assume everyone or anyone else shares your beliefs or politics.
• Let's keep the discussions on engraving and leave our political views, religious views, and prejudices at the door.
• Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere.
Kevin P.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Okay... I'm going to weigh in here with my moderator hat on just so nothing gets out of hand. Every so often we get a thread and we just know the potential for it may be volatile, however, not wanting to step in at every "possible" problem we let things develop and more often than not everything works out.

Having said that, there are 2 things going on in this thread:
1) The information about a change in customs policy for the US that will effect many of us
2) The discussion of political opinion about that change

The info about the change is entirely appropriate here. Many engravers may be effected by it as well as knife makers, cutlery sellers, etc. There should not be any problem with posting announcements that effect changes in laws or policies.

If there is any problem here - or something that would become a problem - it would be that all of us have an opinion about everything (politics, religion, relationships, hobbies, whether we like avocados - you name it). Everyone has one and that's fine. When an issue comes up like this one let's try to stick to the facts and not bring opinion or accusations into it.

longranger

Sorry to be the "wet blanket" on this subject but what we have here is the government we deserve.We have not been diligent in protecting our Constituion, the camels nose has been under the tent for many years now.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
With longrange's post I will close this thread. For some reason when political things come up it often includes bashing of the government, ATF, lawyers, etc. That I do not want in this forum. It's not what the Cafe is about and it won't continue. I'm for freedom and rights just as much as anyone, but I don't argue it in the Cafe. I'm sorry if some of you disagree, but that's that way it's going to be.

Cheers / Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Sponsors