Question: computer transfers

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
So as I am working with the pencil again a minor problem seems to be keeping me from getting to most out of the computer transfer technology.

When I draw up a design and import it into the computer I'm having trouble converting it into a useable file for the Corel Draw program that I'm using for my transfers, Any help would be appreciated.

I can scan the image and export as either a PDF or a JPG, moving it into the Corel Draw program and I can do a bitmap trace but loose up to a third of my drawing,

Any help.

monk

Staff member
what corel version r u using ? when u convert the bitmap, perhaps you're using too much resolution. for simple line work i usually work the image as a .cmx file. no need to keep all the xtra junk. when u do the trace, u should end up with a line drawing that is easy to size to suit your job.

T.G.III

Thanks monk,

I'm using X7, the non comercial version.

So the conversion to the .cmx file is in corel then and i'm just not looking hard enough

Yeah I end up with most of the drawing, just big holes is all, i'll look again at this tonight and see what I can see.

Thanks Again

T.G.III

Okay so I'm using the home and student version 2018, pain in the thought processes.

Any good step by step tutorials out there that I could be looking into ?

monk

Staff member
there's a site ( or was) done by a woman. sorry, but can't recall her name. at that time, she charged 25 bucks, and would tutor the person by phone.
i never used x7 and v11 is my fave. the tool icons on the left are jumbled around on v8 as opposed to v11. that takes a bit of remembering to be able to use the features available.
back to the woman--- just google search and try "pro tutorials", or maybe different wording. i think you'll be surprized at the info that's available.
are you able on yer version to use a pen tool ? if so, i'd believe this would be a step in the right direction for creating outlines only.
if you learn to do this, most of us would simply forget the real details, and just add them on "the fly". sounds a bit wonky, but doing scroll, if you just have the outline for transfer, the details sort of just happen without a lot of fuss. sadly, this does take a bitof practice, but is well worth the time & effort.
i have a v11 bible i'd loan you, but would want it back. gimme a pm

T.G.III

I was using V13 before the old pc crashed but it was for lettering transfers and I didn't figure the rush to learn the rest of the program, like how to convert and size my own drawings, I just drew it out on paper then again on the object.I replaced the pc and the old version wouldn't load, so bought the new version to work in the new pc.

But I remember much talk a few years back on this board about using corel draw, think I'll do a bit of site searching and see what I can find.

Thanks again Monk, appreciate this site and you mods, you've been round this place forever and always willing to help.

monk

Staff member
i use v 11 to run a plotter, cnc engraving machine, as well as my laser. the value of scanning my own drawings and importing to corel is an absolute time saver.i'm way too dumb to learn all the things corel can do. but what i have learned to do with it is remarkable.
i now design in v 8, then export in v 11. all my toys are quite happy with 11, so i'm too lazy to change them. no need to.
you'll never regret learning just the basics for what you do.

T.G.III

After perusing the first 95 pages of threads I did find a bit of information, seems as though Andrew Biggs is the guy that is the corel master, wondering if purchasing his dvd set off the fega site would basically cover the information I'm looking for.

It's way back in 2007 but if the basics are the same.......

monk

Staff member
any vid by him would be worth the price. but only andrew could say if corel info is included on them. or call the sales dept. perhaps they could answer that.

Sponsors