Question: Could this micro engraving work?

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew, make sure there is enough diamond spray on the leather, do it a few times while drying between the steps. Sounds like spoiling diamond spray, but it isn't, as it is a great tool you can use over and over once it is ready.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Okay, I tried some different tools to remove the background.
The best tool that came out is the Bulino tool like Chris DeCamillis demonstrates on his DVD.
I made it evenmore into a point, so the face is probably only 0,4mm.
I'm using dots and dashes in different directions to remove the background.
It will take some time to do this, but I will also save some time as I don't have to stipple it anymore.

In a way as Chris calls his Bulino also "micro reliefs" this was perhaps obvious.

Will show when done

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well I'm still practicing on this micro engraving.
The way I have chosen my tools I'm beginning to realize I'm making a "Bulino" out of an scroll design.
I realize a "Bulino" can be as small it can't be seen with the naked eye, so perhaps this is the best way to handle small engravings.
And as it is on some eye glasses it won't be ruined that quickly like a Bulino on a knife one puts in his pocket or an engraved ring.

Is this good thinking I do?

arnaud

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Hopefully the wearers eyes are not so bad that they can`t see your works without resorting to a mirror, otherwise you need to cut it reversed :big grin:

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Arnaud, here is a "background-remover", that works for me. It is made of an old bur. I can use it for very tiny removing. It needs some practice because it has only one cutting edge, but it does the job well. I use it at 40,000 revolutions per minute.
Perhaps it works for you, too.
Regards, Mario.

Attachments

• old-bur-sharpened.jpg
    old-bur-sharpened.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 60

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Mario, I already tried one similar, and it did work but not everywhere in this micro engraving.
So I'm quite sure this has to be finished like a Chris DeCamillis Bulino.
Even don't use powertools, just hand pushing with a tiny Bulino graver.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This how it looks now, sure making it look good with the naked eye is the goal. But anyway I think it looks already nice.
And I also know I will use the less magnification when shading, as like Andrew said, it is quickly overdone.

using the Bulino tool by hand pushing is stressles, even on this size.

arnaud

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud,
If you put this practice plate in your display case you could just find yourself doing quit a lot of micro work. It is coming along beautifully. You might consider leaving part unfinished as it can demonstrate what is involved in this tiny type work for your customers to see. Would love to meet you some day. Fred

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud back round removal with a bulino graver ala Chris DeCamillis is a good tip.
The removal looks very clean.
A nice tutorial. Thanks
Kevin P.

Latest posts

Sponsors