Cutting a straight line

Flatsguide

I’m fairly new at engraving and find that my straight lines are best when I tilt the practice plate away from me. I’m using a pneumatic engraver and the way . The way I was cutting before was the plate was close to perpendicular to the microscope but the curled chip started to obscure the line. I started to lean the PP away from me and the straightness of the lines greatly improved. I am concerned somewhat that if I get into cutting this way that it will hinder more complicated cuts down the line. BTW I am cutting just to the side of the line.
Thanks and stay well
Cheers Richard

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Richard,
Following the side of the line is correct.
To keep the chip from obscuring the line tilt the graver very slightly away from you, on it's longitudinal axis.
(As if you were making the slightest of flair cuts)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
one other thing that works well-- cut a thousand or two lines and you'll be amazed at your new-found skill. one day you will finnd the exact orientation of the ball, and all will get done without having to think about what it is you're cutting. at this point, engraving becomes fun instead of frustrating.

Flatsguide

Yes, it does take quite a bit of concentration at the present time. If I lapse the really goes bad. What do they say, it takes about10,000 hours to master a skill.
Cheers and thanks Richard