Cutting down on engraving time

beginnerEngraver

Hello everyone!

I have been engraving for a while now and am absolutely loving it! I am making some dials and I want to be able to make a considerable number (e.g. 30 to 50 dials). The problem is that background removal takes a lot of time! I love adding shading and final finishes and want to know if there is any way I can cut down on background removal time?

Do you know or can recommend any techniques to speed up the engraving process (e.g. die stamping/etc.)? Any tips or techniques on how to speed up engraving time is appreciated!

Thank you.

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
CNC mill the basic dials, then clean up and embellish with hand engraving. I use this technique quite often.

Of course, there’s a significant learning curve to be successful with a CNC mill. People often seem to think you just download some model off the internet, then plug-and-play. You might investigate hiring a milling service to make the basic dials for you, then add your engraving.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Can you change your design to cut down the negative space? On lower budget jobs on guns I go with a full design that nearly eliminates background removal. Speeds up the process but still not fast but gives more bang for the buck.

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
clough42 on youtube has been doing some interesting work with laser engraving with a cnc router. Good for flat work.

Latest posts

Sponsors