cuttings

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi all........this is probably a stupid question, but this is how I learn. Lets say you have 18k cuttings and 24k cutting from whatever. Do you isolate each to resmelt,or combine all of it please?

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hello,
If you are sure that there is no contamination with other metal, it would be convenient to keep them separate so you can save on refinement cost.
You can remove iron with a magnet but some stainless steel are not magnetic, so you cannot remove it easily.
On the other hand, you can mix all the metals and alloys and, when you have a considerable amount, have it refined by a professional service. Then you can decide to keep the 24K gold in the shape you prefer and pay for the refinement only or to sell it. Take in account that you will have a lost of about a 10/15 % in the refinement service if there is only gold in your mix. You will have the best output melting the gold scrap in a graphite crucible using an induction machine which will reduce your lost to about 5% or even less... but the true is that the refinement service companies like very much keeping some of your gold for free :(
I am not an expert, but I am talking for my own experiences.

Last edited:

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
thanks guy's that enlightened my little world and gave options. Rob

WMS

Wet chemistry refining of gold is a well published process. The chemistry is not difficult, however some of the chemicals used are not safe for the uninformed. If you want to know more about this process please contact me, but unless you are prepared to Handel very strong acids this is not for you.

Latest posts

Sponsors