Dangers of shell carving?

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
With the recent threads about the danger of shell dust inhalation, our FEGA friend Rick Thronburg (From William-Henry Knives), sent me this great article on the debate. This article is different from many you will see posted on the internet...it actually is based on real research!

I've said for years that the dangers of shell carving was overblown, and now I have something to back up my theory. You still need to take reasonable precautions as with any fine particulate dust in your workspace, but you don't need to be concerned with "toxic gases etc.". I use a dust collection system built into the table that I carve on, plus I wear a simple dust mask when I'm doing bulk shell removal. During the detail carving, however, I don't have anything other than my usual fan blowing across my work bench.

I hope this gives you all a little peace of mind and again I thank Rick Thronburg not only for this information but for all that he does for knife engravers everywhere.

Attachments

• DOP, CUT SHELL AND DIE article (2010).pdf
    251.2 KB · Views: 121

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, that's good to know. When I inhaled too much golden lip mother of pearl dust 30 years ago and ran a 103F fever for three days and turned red all over... it was really just all in my head. :)

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Same here too much dust once and I was at the Doctor feeling like death!! The Doctor said I was still breathing only because my size 250 (and in shape) was large enough to absorb the poison.

CUT THIS STUFF UNDER WATER!!!!!!!!!!!

scott99

maplesm

Elite Cafe Member
All organic material has a potential to cause harm. It is not only the organism itself but also any fungus, or spores associated with it. I worked in the ER as a RN for 30 plus years and have seen many a reaction from exposure to items normally thought to be safe. Exposure to fine dust is not that great for our lungs but add to that the possible contamination by other organisms makes it worthwhile to take reasonable precautions.
I think the answer to this debate is somewhere in the middle of these more extreme views.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As a licensed respiratory therapist for 25 years, it is my humble opinion that you should take ALL of the precautions that you can when dealing with ANY type of dust, especially if it comes from organic substances. There are too many bad things that can happen if you don't, and you've only suffered inconvenience and possibly a sweaty face if you do!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
maybe it was just doggie poo, but i read a rather lengthy article on abalone shell carvers on some far away island. it said with not too much exposure, the stuff formed little blisters or such that formed down at the alveolar level. apparently once formed, they couldn't be removed by any of the natural cleansing processes from the bronchial tubes on down. ed can tell you the rest- in orwellian speak double plus ungood !

Latest posts

Sponsors