Demagnitizer

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
was at O'Reilly Auto Parts this morning and in front of me before I paid at the register I founded the demagnetizer for blades, this is an option not sure how well it works for your gravers but definitely worth a try at $2.99.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414952416467.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414952416467.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 621
  • uploadfromtaptalk1414952445556.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414952445556.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 620
  • uploadfromtaptalk1414952545089.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414952545089.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 618

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Some claim they work for gravers but I never could and ended up getting larger electric one.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Same one at the 99 cent store and Harbor Freight...

I can't even get it to work on a sewing needle, much less a graver.

Maybe open it up and swap the magnets for rare earth magnets?

Too much bother for me. Tried to give it away a coupla times... no joy.

Brian

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
I have one, no joy!(It would magnetize a screw driver but wasn't worth a crap to demagnetize a graver) I ended up picking up a used machine shop quality unit on E-bay. $80.00 plus shipping, worth every penny.
Cheers
Don

mrthe

I have one of this and finally i have opened it to use the magnets to clean my jewellery bench from small pieces of broked saws amd separe them from silver and gold dust, don't work for gravers.

Andrew Biggs

Yep........been there, done that and it doesn't work.

But this one did. It was roughly about $20

Cheers
Andrew

PS. For some reason my gravers magnetised a lot in the beginning. Then it stopped and I've haven't used it for years now.......maybe the sparrows were flying north that year or Pluto was aligned with mars. Who knows???? :)

Attachments

• Demagnetiser.jpg
    Demagnetiser.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 584
Last edited:

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
I gave up on demagnetizing, and just keep lumps of White Duck Poster Putty stuck to the column of the drill press stand. It removes anything from the graver including the irritating small dust stuff after sharpening.

Andrew Biggs

Did you move your bench Andrew?

No, the position of the bench is exactly the same facing west........even though the actual bench has changed since then.

Maybe it was me.........and somehow I got demagnetised :)

Cheers
Andrew

PS. it's probabley all those airport X-ray machines I've been through.....maybe they're also big demagnetisers. Now there's a theory!!!! :)

Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For some reason my gravers magnetised a lot in the beginning. Then it stopped and I've haven't used it for years now.......maybe the sparrows were flying north that year or Pluto was aligned with mars. Who knows???? :)

An iron rod will magnetize if oriented to earth's magnetic north and then struck sharply with a hammer. I'm betting you used to be more or less oriented north and south then and now you are oriented more east and west. :)

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ya' know it's funny, but I was plagued with the magnetic gravers when I first started engraving. I had an old tape deck head demagnetizer and used it quite often. Now that the subject has come up again I realize that, like Andrew, I've not needed to demagnetize for at least the last three years. I can't figure out what changed other than me getting older (but not necessarily wiser).

silvermon

I had a couple extensive conversation once with an engineering executive from Kalamazoo, makers of belt and disc sanders and a whole lot more. They are always very interested in magnetic and electrical fields around equipment used for grinding and sharpening. The main end point is that there are too many variables to always account for field buildup or for it suddenly going away. Just be glad it's gone, and don't change how you are doing things right now. When I was in CA we had such a bad electrical field buildup around a belt sander after about 60-90 seconds everyone was afraid to use it. Kalamazoo investigated but ultimately couldn't help.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I have this one and it works perfectly. The one in your original post is pretty much useless per my experience with it.

Sponsors