Question: Digital display drawing tablets

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi guys, I'm wondering if any of you use digital tablets such as the Cintiq? I've always struggled to draw anything with the Wacom Bamboo I have because of feeling so detached; my hand being so far away from what is appearing on the screen feels very unnatural to me. Plus, there are times when designing scrollwork, etc where if it were paper I could easily reorientate it to draw smooth curves. When I try this with the Bamboo of course I don't know where I'm at and the lines go off in all sorts of directions!

So, I'm thinking of getting a Cintiq or something similar. However, the Cintiqs are VERY expensive over here so I was thinking of the 13" 'Companion Hybrid'. Has anyone on the forum any experience with one of these?

Whilst researching I found another make which seems to get fantastic reviews, it's the Yiynova. The build quality isn't up to that of the Cintiq but then again, neither is the price. In fact, I could buy both the 10" and 19" models for the price of a 13" Cintiq. And to be honest, because of some of the reviews I am seriously tempted to get one or both Yiynovas.

In my book there is nothing like hearing from someone who actually uses a piece of equipment and can either recommend it or point out the pros and cons. So, if you use a display tablet for your drawing/art, I really would value your opinions. Thanks

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I have a fair amount of experience with Cintiq, although I sold mine a few months ago as I'm not doing so much of that work now. It's a great digital tablet no doubt and you will not feel detached from the drawing as you do with a standard tablet. My Cintiq's screen could be rotated like you'd rotate a piece of paper while drawing, but it was heavy and awkward to do so. I found it easier to rotate my work in Illustrator or Photoshop than to turn the display. I will eventually get a new one that matches my 27" displays on my Mac. My old Cintiq was a 19" I believe and it was a mismatch in resolution and you couldn't effectively drag from one display to the other because of that.

And as I've said many times before, I can draw and engrave 3 designs in the time it takes me to create one digital image like this one, so take that into account. YMMV.

cintiq_scrolls.jpg

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Marcus,

I bought a Cintiq 13" about 8 months ago and I really like it. Like you, I tried the bamboo tablets and those did not connect well with my brain. I researched the alternative tables including the Yiynova and decided to spring for the Cintiq instead. I use my Cintiq with Adobe Illustrator. Sometimes I start the drawing by with pen and pencil and then scan and import it into AI to finish with my Cintiq. Or, the other way around. I really only use the pen and pencil tools in AI so rather than buying the complete AI software package I lease it online for $19 per month. This way you always get the latest upgrades from AI and they do seem to continue upgrading the pen and pencil tools so that makes it nice. Drawing on the Cintiq took me about a week or so to get the hang of it but it is 1000x better than the bamboo tablets in my opinion. I need all the help I can get with my drawing so it was money well spent for me. The Yiynova might be ok but you would certainly want to be sure it works well with AI or whatever software you are using. Hope that helps a little! BTW, I love your work!

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sure would like to give the Cintiq a try, I bought a bamboo several yrs a go and never did get the hang of it, wouldn't mind seeing it find a new home!!!!!

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Dammit... there I was, living in contented bliss with my Wacom Intuos 4, when after reading this post, took a trip to the land of youtube to find out what this Cintiq thing was about.

OH MY... I think I'm in love!!

I started out with good intention (Cintiq 13) but the dark side has lured me to the 24HD!!!! Someone please hide my cheque book and credit cards! ;)

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew, You have been miss informed. You can take it with you. If your wealth remains your wealth then it is still yours. You can hide it. destroy it. Invest it in never ending trust that only you can alter. You can and much has been deposited in numbered accounts only to be forgotten by anyone living. I am taking MINE with me-no matter how little it is or how much. Fred

Bob Ryder

Joanne, one thing to keep in mind. I worked with intuous for years and did quite a bit of digital artwork. I thought about the cintiq often. after reading a handful of forums, what I hear the most is, if your use to the hand eye separation, meaning you can watch the screen while the hand works, is that most of those type people, struggled more with the cintiq. they just said it was so different, they couldnt get the hang of it. these were pros. but like everything, did not effect everyone. just a thought.

delder

Elite Cafe Member
I too was considering a cintiq , but decided to wait because I heard it had some issues with Illustrator cs6. Does anyone know if these issues have been resolved ? From what I gather , it was an issue with Adobe not the tablet.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
I use AI CC which is the latest online version, probably the same as CS6. No issues that I have run across. Works perfectly.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Off subject a bit. My personal opinion...

I hate that "newspeak"... (and political correctness of any kind)

An "issue" is a PROBLEM.

Always has been, always will be. Call it what it is.

Kinda like the "newspeak" term "human resources".

Which implies that someday we may have "alien resources"?

B.

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm happy with the Wacom Intuos PTK-440 but sure a Cintiq even more. :biggrin:

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors