Do wider gravers make shinier cuts?

purplepepper8

This may seem like a very silly question, but do wider v- point gravers make shinier cuts than narrower v- point gravers? Because i even removed the high polish face and heel of my 120 degree and the cuts it made were still shinier than my high polish 90 degree graver.

Edit- I just took the heel off (by grinding the face down) and remade one and found the cuts less shiny. not sure what changed. Maybe i didn't successfully remove the high polish first time 'round

Last edited:

dhall

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
A broader V cut will reflect more light than a narrower V shape cut. When light hits a flat surface, it is reflected back most brightly at the equal, opposite angle. 45 degrees in, the opposite 45 degrees (135 degrees, actually) out. With a broader V, not as much light reflects back as a flat surface, but a fair amount will reflect, especially as you rotate the object in the light. When light hits a narrower V, not as much light can reflect back - kind of like a roach motel for light; it goes in but doesn't come out. Any light that doesn't reflect off a surface back to your eye will make that part of the object appear darker. Hence, a narrower V cut will always appear less bright when compared to a broader V cut, everything else being equal.

Thanks,
Doug