Announcement: Don't leave the forum!!!

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have some advice for those of you who might be thinking of leaving the forum for a while. Don't!
I haven't been around the forum for about two months, and now I find that the "What's New?" header gives me 15 pages of things to look at! This could take a while...

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ed:

"What's New" only shows what's new (duh) since your last visit.

Now you have to remember where you left off in catching up and work your way up from there.

I find it's bad enough when I get a couple of days behind.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was off for 3 weeks because of a motherboard failure. I went "cold turkey". It really disrupts things when a computer is used for so many things. I'm getting back to "normal" with a new one custom built by Alienware. It's about as close to a Cray Super Computer as an individual can get. A hyperthreaded 6 core i7 processor (basically 12 CPU's!) with liquid cooling and 32 GB of RAM!

A couple friends called me on the phone to see if I'd died or was hospitalized... which isn't out of the realm of possibilities. But, I'm back! :)

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was off for 3 weeks because of a motherboard failure. I went "cold turkey". It really disrupts things when a computer is used for so many things. I'm getting back to "normal" with a new one custom built by Alienware. It's about as close to a Cray Super Computer as an individual can get. A hyperthreaded 6 core i7 processor (basically 12 CPU's!) with liquid cooling and 32 GB of RAM!

A couple friends called me on the phone to see if I'd died or was hospitalized... which isn't out of the realm of possibilities. But, I'm back! :)

Alienware? You must be a huge online gamer!

Carlos De La O III

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
iMac w/32 gigs, 8tb RAID. Yeah baby.

Doc, I'm surprised you don't have a laptop for backup.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

My wife has one of those things and I can stand to use it if forced into it. But, it's sorta like having to drive a Prius when you're used to a Ferrari. :)

Luckily, I do tend to save important stuff to my 4TB RAID 6 NAS... so I don't lose it. I learned that the hard way. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
iMac w/32 gigs, 8tb RAID. Yeah baby.

Same set up except for the raid, next on my list. .wait.... more thing s I need to buy for engraving that I had no idea I needed... never mind... cancel the raid. ..

Carlos De La O III

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
my laptop pretty much mirrors my desktop. my wife's machine has 90% of what is on those, all the important pix and data. A couple of 1 TB removable drives keep full backups, one on site, one kept very far off site.

I'm not paranoid, they just say I'm paranoid because they're out to get me.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
We're backed up with an Apple Time Capsule and also offsite with Crashplan and Dropbox.

You're a funny guy Walter :)

Latest posts

Sponsors