Critique Request English scroll work

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
This is my first complete attempt into English scroll work as I have understood from Rex. Rex did a demonstration of this technique during the Grand Masters Program 2010. :thumbs up:

I see in the sketch that not every scroll is an precise replica of the others but the overall feeling pleases me. :big grin:

I would like some advice to improve.

Attachments

• sketch01.JPG
    sketch01.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 438

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello Hora,
First I must tell others what you know I call my English scroll... "Down and Dirty English scroll".... It isn't museum quality but a decent looking, quick cutting scroll.
The problem I find with it is that you really can't draw it as well as you can cut it. A lot of it is rhythm as much as anything.
All that said I think you did a decent job and it would look better cut than it is drawn. The very ends of the scrolls need to finished a bit better but I think that would come in the cutting.
I hope maybe Andrew will pop in on this as he mentioned it was much easier for him to see me actually do it than trying to explain it and he was cutting really decent scrolls in a few minutes.
Anyhow, go ahead and cut it next.
Rex

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hora, I don't know much about English scroll, but I think this is not realy English scroll.
Here is a good tread about English scroll that was started by Mario.
Marcus Hunt and John B. gave good advice here.
Here is the link

arnaud

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud,
Nice to see that there are neighbors here!

Thanks for the link to the tread to the English scroll lessons! I will read the lot coming weekend when I finish the set-up of my new toys. I bought a secondhand dry-air and oil free compressor last night for my new Graver mach.

The scroll that I show is a result from the lessons in Emporia from Rex. He showed how a quick result can be achieved for simple designs and demonstrations. I was practicing this, to be used for the same by me. But, Rex's much more experienced so his minute-work takes me somewhat longer!

I like to master the scrolls in any variation. I am working my way through the books of Ron Smith and Bleek. Ron explained a lot to me during the Grand Masters. He makes things so simple, like Rex, until you try it your self. So, practicing for now.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The scroll plate I was demonstrating looks like this when it is done.
Again, trying to draw it is tough to do and make it look like it was cut.

Attachments

• pp001a-PedeR-WEB.jpg
    pp001a-PedeR-WEB.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 276

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hora, indeed neighbours, but there are even some of the Netherlands here.
I understand very well about the learning process you describe. I think it is the same experience for us all, we all start with one line but we all are still learning.
Nog veel graveer plezier.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Okay Rex, I see now, just tried to help by jumping in, and as I said I don’t know much about English scroll.
Hora’s design looks quite similar indeed, so he will have to give it a try cutting it I suppose.

arnaud

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Hora, I can't give you a proper advice about the Englisch scrolls but I like your drawing and it's in my opinion a very nice first attempt.
Nice to meet you here,
Groeten, Willem

WDA

Hora,

It is good to see you posting progress learning scroll work. Rex makes it look easy
to cut but it takes practice, practice, practice. It was nice to meet you and
Simone at the GM weekend. Keep cutting and I hope to see you again.

Bill Albers
(the guitar player that didn't know when to quit)

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks for the plate showing your sample, Rex.
I have always admired Rex's English scroll.
It is super clean and even and he is fast and effective with it.
He combines it with beautiful, clean borders to make a wonderful presentation.
The secret is how clean he cuts it IMO. A great lesson for us all.
Best.

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
Willem,
Nice to see another Hollander here on the forum!

As you will have discovered, I had the honor to meet a lot of these fab artists at the Grand Masters in Emporia. As I'm in engraving for little more then one year I just try to copy and learn.
At the moment I'm setting up the engraving equipment in my workshop and hope to engrave the English scrolls this weekend.

Bill,
It was nice meeting you to! Simone and I enjoyed the music and “after dinerâ€￾ atmosphere. The 4 of you playing was just wonderful and will be remembered for a long time.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Hora,
The BBQ invite is always there. :beerchug: You show up and I will BBQ something. :tiphat:

Sandy

Last edited:

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Hora

I am not a scroll expert but I like yours very much. It is pleasing to the eye. I think along with what Rex said about drawing and cutting, sometimes its easier to get the best results with a graver then a pencil. Some of your lines inside the leaves are a little to heavy. Thanks for posting.

Jim Sackett

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
To day I cut my first English Scroll. :yes

Next is the description of what I did.

Design

Drew one basic scroll. Copied this one 7 times and attached the 7 copies in to the design next to the original.

Transfer

Scanned the glue result to a jpg picture. Inserted the picture in a Word document.
Printed the lot on a normal sheet of copier paper. Covered the parts that I wanted to use with a piece of Reynolds Parchment Paper. The parchment paper has to be firmly attached to the plain paper sheet otherwise is will come off in the printer. Printing with a Samsung ML 1640 Laser copier. Removed the parchment paper with the printed design and rubbed it onto a Copper plate coated with Guttegom (a solution of Gamboge resin in ethyl alcohol) with the back side of a pencil. After that I fixed the transfer with MediaRange Colour Protection to prevent it from wear.

Engraving

Attached the lot a plywood plank with copper nails and onto my pottery disk.
I had a hard time sharpening the graver. I did not get it right and I used the standard graver that came with the 901.:confused:
Cutting first the bigger that the smaller. After cutting I blackened the copper with Pariser Oxyde.

Comments please

Attachments

• transfer1.JPG
    transfer1.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 102
  • English Scroll 2.jpg
    English Scroll 2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 123

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Hora,
Looking good. Try on the next ones to get a little more depth and "flair" to the cuts.
Rex

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
My next attempts to get it my cup of thee. The series run clockwise starting top left to bottom under, i, II, III, IIII.

To my own opinion number III generates the most depth and has the most movement.

Jim,
I used the same process as described before. As I discovered in Holland we use different solutions to the same problems with sometimes a different result. I am always very pleased when people describe their process and brands they use.

Attachments

• English Scroll 3.jpg
    English Scroll 3.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 106

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Realy nice work Hora, I see you're making progress very fast.
Thanks for the explaination.
I've send you a PM about sharing things in Holland, there are more entousiastic people busy with engraving.
Willem

Latest posts

Sponsors