Question: English Scroll

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus,

Did you ever give the idea of the English Scroll Tutorial any more thought? I've been struggling to even get the design basics under control. I can't even find a really good close-up photo of English Scroll in good lighting. Can you post a clear drawing or photo enlargement of a typical scroll and bouquet? Something we can use as a practice piece. Like doing scales when learning music. I think I'm trying to make the scrolls too large. What size range is best? HELP!!!! I'm getting frustrated.

Thanks,

Mark

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here you go Doc,

These are pencil drawings in my book and are not as good as engraved examples but will give you structure and information.

Hope this helps.

Ron S

Attachments

• english scroll page 001.jpg
    english scroll page 001.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 201

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Mark,

I'm in the process of writing up and designing a kit for English fine scroll at the moment and hopefully will follow up with an add on module for the flowers, and another kit for English large scroll at sometime in the not to distant future.

I am not a writer by trade and so this is taking a little longer than expected because it's difficult to put into words what is in reality a simple movement or cut. Please bear with me on this one.

There is no substitute for being shown and taught how to do something and going the self-taught route (without even a kit to help) is really difficult. If you are looking at and trying to copy an example the number 1 priority is to learn to really see . This may sound daft but our brains have this uncanny ability to look at something and translate it into what it thinks it sees. By the time the message gets to the hands it's almost like a game of Chinese Whispers in that it comes out totally different to the original.

I've just finished an English fine scrolled gun and will post pictures of it in the next day or so.

Karl Stubenvoll

Elite Cafe Member
I'm looking forward to the kits, Marcus, as I am playing with English scroll in the evenings. It would help so much if you could add a tiny closeup of just a few of the scrolls so that the detail isn't lost because of the file size limits.

Thanks!

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus

Looking forward to the kit as well.

The brain's "I know what I saw" ability is often a good thing but sometimes.... :rolleyes:

Simple line drawings are often better than photographs for showing some things because the provide less information. Same with B&W vs. Color - sometimes less really is more, at least when it comes to transferring specific information.