Engraved gun case hardware & accessories

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, did you make the design/layout right on the the box? (first photo)
Perhaps the backbone layout using your transfer wax with pencil and adding the leaves while engraving?
Just curious.

arnaud

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Arnaud: I drew everything onto the transfer wax surface. Backbones, leaves, etc.

Roger: This was done a few years after my short stint with Lynton.

kguns

Classic Scroll
Outstanding Execution
Soft material, even harder to do well.
:beerchug:
Happy Memorial Day !!!!!!!

fred carter

Wow

Sam - to my eye this may well be the most beautiful scroll I have ever seen - It is a masterpiece of design and execution I love it. Fred

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful work Sam. The scroll work is impeccable. Was the compass & square requested by the client? Dig up some more old stuff.

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for posting this. I keep looking at the penny for size comparison because I can't get over how tiny these scrolls are and how close the two topmost designs are to each other. This is going to provide hours and hours of study.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Fred: You are too kind and I'm glad you like my scrollwork. :)

Thank you Myrna, Mike, and Chapi. Mike: The Masonic symbol was my idea.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, the work you were doing with hammer and chisel 22 years ago has generated quit a response in admiration, interest and questions. Certainly worthy of all three. Thank you for sharing. Now where did I put that Lee Valley Fine Hardware catalog?-Fred

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Knowing Sam did this design directly on the metal, while it looks so complicated I had to find out about the backbone and scrolls.
For me doing this makes me better understand how the design was build up. This because when looking at the finished engraving without seeing the structure, sure it still looks great, but this way it makes more sense to me.

I was also very surprised that Sam’s scrolls are almost identical. I used Illustrator and the nautilus-shell spiral.

I hope I got the backbone right, otherwise please tell me Sam.

arnaud

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud,
Thank you for taking the time to do the analysis and posting it. It is very interesting to see the complexity of scrolls and over/under laps in some areas and the utter lack of complexity in other areas yet to the eye all blends so well together. Amazing layout. Fred

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud, I was surprised this morning when I logged on and saw how closely your scroll backbone study was to mine. One difference I did notice was that I made breaks at the over-and-under parts, which made one re-occurring motif apparent. It comes from a smaller "baby" scroll that turns to the inside of a larger "parent" scroll and loops through the parent scroll to form an "S" shape that is found throughout, and makes a very pleasing and complex pattern. Here I have highlighted the S shapes in green.
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chapi, Well what did you expect Sam did it. If truly careful analysis were done you would probably find "SAM IS GREAT" hidden in those cuts HA-HA!-Fred

Last edited:

Sponsors