Engraved Shotgun action

Andrew Biggs

Happy new year to you all.

I’ve lost track of what’s been happening on the forums since Christmas as I’ve had a few things to deal with.

My first gun project is finished, or I’ve gone as far as I’m going to go with it. It is after all, a practice plate. I first started drawing the shotgun action on paper six months ago and told John Barraclough that it would take about 3-4 months to complete. I think he’s still trying to stop laughing!!! Back then I had no idea how big a shotgun action really is. I do now.

It’s been a really cool project to do. There are 113 scrolls, over 1000 leaves, 7 rosettes and 2 birds.

There have been a lot of lessons learnt along the way. Remembering them all could be the problem!!!

Lessons learnt in no particular order………………………

1. The engraving is the easy part.
2. Metal preparation is everything……………
3. Don’t take a buffing wheel to the metal as it rounds everything off
4. Don’t take a blow torch to the metal as it creates deep pitting.
5. Draw everything first. By everything, I mean everything. And don’t stop drawing until it’s the very best you can do at the time.
6. Don’t deviate from the drawings by trying to make impromptu improvements or you’re guaranteed to bugger it up.
7. Keep your gravers sharp at all times. They dull off quicker than you think.
8. Think the whole process through before you start cutting.
9. Holding the awkward parts can be an engineering feat all in itself.
10. Have fun doing it
11. Shotgun actions are bigger than Texas under the microscope.
12. Engraving doesn’t hide scratches in the metal.
13. Some parts are incredibly hard to get to with a graver and require several angles of approach
14. Listen to what more experienced engravers are telling you.
15. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different tools.
13. There are a few more, I’m sure of it. I just can’t remember them!!!!!!!

As usual, your thoughts and comments are always welcome.

Very best wishes for 2007

Andrew

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's a fabulous job you've done there Andrew. Well done you can be proud of your achievement.

Your observations too are very helpful for anyone starting (or thinking of starting) engraving. If you're engraving in a commercial world No's 5 and 6 are up for debate. You have to be adaptable. For example, a pair of hand made shotguns will never be absolutely identical in all dimensions. It may only start as a fraction of a mm out but when you come to filling it with scrollwork what fitted fine on the first gun can leave a gap like the Grand Canyon on the other. (Its a bit like tiling a wall in that if you start right in a corner by the time you get to the other side the tiles will all be skewed at the oddest angle because no wall is absolutely true). So be prepared to adapt just slightly from your game plan should the need arise. Otherwise you're spot on.

all the best and Happy New Year to you.

Marcus

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Mr. Andrew. Pretty rerned good for a first piece, I'd say ! I'm in agreement with Mr. Marcus on #5 & #6, other than that you are dead on ol boy. Please keep up the great work (like you can just stop engraving now -- you're hooked) and continue to post pictures from start to finish. I believe you're example will have a great deal of influence with other beginnerr engravers. Big time congrats. Krn

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
What a rich and beautiful treatment, Andrew. It's very well balanced and I really liked the pierced lever. Your photography is also superb, and I appreciate you sharing your work in the Cafe. We are fortunate to have you. / ~Sam

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fantastic work Andrew. I've been admiring the progress as you have been posting it. It is hard to believe you can be that good in such a short amount of time since you began engraving.

Thanks,
Peter

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very very fine tratment on that Mr. Biggs:)

I loved the sketches you did for this job but the gun far surpasses what was on paper. Great Job!

Ray

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
You must have a natural born ability Andrew ,for the time you have been engraving to produce such quality work. Thums up! It will be exciting to watch your progress in the coming years, keep posting. You've got it going on!:eek:

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Your work is fantastic! Will you be taking this to Reno? Lee Grifffith is another engraver who progressed rapidly as you have done. Now I have two idols. It will be a pleasure to meet you in Reno. Thanks for sharing.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew,

I just hope I can do half as professional a job on the first firearm I try! Someday I'll get the guts to do one, but not yet.

I really like the overall design, particularly since it is different from so many I've seen (ie. the ferns are a nice touch). I very much liked the transitional border of leaves morphing into a running wheat pattern. Very creative!

Mark

M A Smith

It is a beautiful piece Andrew .........,vary nice piece......i agree with the others .. you are a benefit to the engraving community......great attitude ....and integrity

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew that really come out beautiful. I have been watching this from the beginning if it's the same gun. You put a lot of effort and work into it and it shows. Good job. That list is a lot to think about when you’re working. Putting both sides of my brain to work like that at the same time would make me overload:)
Mike

Jude

Andrew
That's a beautiful piece that hardly looks like a practice plate! I've been studying a shotgun engraving book my wife got me for Christmas called Il Grande Libro Delle Incisione. Your action would not look out of place in that book. Congratulations on a succesful project.
Jude

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Great job, Andrew. Congratulations my friend.
All your hard work and dedication to quality really paid off.
And beautiful clear photographs too.
Now all we've got to do is to get you and your shotgun action over the Sierra Nevada snow pack on our way to Reno.
'Till then, best regards, John B.

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Congratulations on a job well done Andrew. You probably feel like you can finally take a breath. Some projects sure do draw out don't they? I can't imagine putting so much time into a "practice plate" as you call it. Are you going to reassemble the whole gun for us to see?
Andy

Andrew Biggs

Thanks for all those kind word everyone. Really appreciated.

Marcus reminded me of the other thing I'd forgotten...............Shotgun actions arn't symmetrical. They appear to be at a casual glance but when you do a smoke/ink pull you begin to realise how much difference there is. Anything up to a few millimeters out!!!!!

Andy. No the rest of the gun has had it. The barrells are out of alignment and the stock has seen much better days. Also with removing all the old engraving and cleaning it all up to a stage where it could be engraved has removed quite a bit of metal and none of the inletting really fits anymore. I knew that would happen from the start.............however there is one really big lesson in that staement alone.

Only a couple of weeks now till I fly over to the USA........far out!!!!!

Best wishes
Andrew

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew,
Every thing that is missing or is unrepairable on this action can be made new or replaced. This includes the monoblock and barrels. If there has been too much metal taken off the action, the double barrels can be reduced to a smaller gage. The stock can be made more beautiful and functionable than the old.
Your action is the diamond. Don't throw it away because you don't have a ring to put it in!

jacques herbst

Elite Cafe Member
hi mr biggs.i am starting my way trough engraving and you have served as a good insparation to me and i can only hope to be as good as that in such a short space of time(well maybe not that long:D ha ha)thumbs up and keep well.

Latest posts

Sponsors